T-Mobile vs. Verizon Nexus One

This is a discussion on T-Mobile vs. Verizon Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm debating if I should wait for the Nexus One to come to Verizon and wondered if any of you had heard anything about what ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile vs. Verizon Nexus One

T-Mobile vs. Verizon Nexus One

I'm debating if I should wait for the Nexus One to come to Verizon and wondered if any of you had heard anything about what the plan they are going offer with it?

I was also wondering if anyone had heard if Verizon was going to offer unlocked versions of the phone? --- I'm not even sure if technically CDMA phones (like all Verizon phones are) can be 'unlocked'... can they? There's no Sim Card, so it seems like any movement from phone service to phone would require working with the provider as opposed to just pulling your card and plugging it in a different phone.

I currently have Verizon and their service is excellent, but they're expensive and really not known for supporting open phone technology.

I've been waiting for the Dragon, then the Passion, now the Nexus One to come to Verizon for almost a year now and I'm kind of getting sick of waiting for Verizon and their vague "Spring 2010" date. I suspect that they're going to keep things locked to their network and charge an arm and a leg like they always do.

Anyone have any insight / thoughts or ideas about what you think will happen with Verizon and the Nexus One?

Am I missing any benefits / negatives in this list?

Benefits for going with T-Mobile Nexus One (Unsubsidized):
    * Service charges are much cheaper
    * They seem to have great customer service (from 4 friends anecdotally)
    * They seem to have pretty good service overall (from friends and reading various network tests -- in my area they're #2 behind Verizon on the Consumer Report test this year)
    * They just unleashed the HSPA network that whips even AT&t's network from what I've seen
    * They seem to support unlocked phones and a more 'European' style mobile market and freedom to take your sim wherever (I'd really like to vote/support this type of company with my dollar)
    * Reselling the phone after I'm finished/upgrade might actually be a reality since someone else can just drop their sim card in it (with verizon I've never realy had this option)
    * ...Others?

T-Mobile negatives:
    * Their 3g network isn't as robust outside of medium-large cities as Verizon
    * ...Others?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I don't think anything has really been announced yet. I do wonder though if Verizon will be perceptive to offering discounted plans for unlocked phones, or if their version will be sold with contracts only. Maybe they'll even sell contractless plans at the same price as their regular plans, although that would defeat the purpose of purchasing an unlocked phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jdd48 View Post
    I don't think anything has really been announced yet. I do wonder though if Verizon will be perceptive to offering discounted plans for unlocked phones, or if their version will be sold with contracts only. Maybe they'll even sell contractless plans at the same price as their regular plans, although that would defeat the purpose of purchasing an unlocked phone.
    That's what I'm concerned with. T-Mobile has his history and two clear plans for subsidized/on contract and off contract users.

Verizon doesn't have that as far as I know. So either this would mean creating a totally new plan pricing structure or they're just going to force Nexus One users into a contract.

just the 29.99 data plan to answer 1 of ur questions

Two things... First, in an interview with engadget google said the cdma version will also be 'unlocked'. Second, I believe the N1 is the Passion. Its labled as such in Android System Info.
    Rooted Nexus One

Thanks for the information Fuse, that's good to know. I am also waiting for Verizon's version of the N1.

I'm currently with US Cellular, in the semi-rural inland Pacific Northwest. USCC and Verizon are the main carriers out here due to the coverage that NexusWon referred to. My job requires that I travel into some fairly remote areas, off the main interstates and highways, so AT&T and T-Mobile are not options for me. I went to my carrier and asked the rep about the Nexus One, but she didn't think they would get it, and I have to agree unfortunately. So I will have to wait for Verizon to get it and switch to them. I'll have to eat the $150 early termination fee (since I just renewed my contract in September) but I really would like to get the N1. I'm tired of waiting for USCC to get decent smartphones, let alone Android phones. So, put me on the list of potential customers, waiting for Verizon.

I hope the Verizon version won't be better. I would be hella jealous

verizon will be better. if it's just like the droid with $30/mo data plan. 3g is gonna be really good. i'm holding out for the n1 for verizon.

I mean physically better. Verizon Wireless 3g ain't that great at where I live..

Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    verizon will be better. if it's just like the droid with $30/mo data plan. 3g is gonna be really good. i'm holding out for the n1 for verizon.
    $30 a month data plans? Where's that? I've only seen the Droid with the combined voice and data plan that's $89 for 900 or $109 for unlimited minutes. And their "unlimited" data is supposed to be capped to 5 Gb a month, so it's not really unlimited at all. And they charge extra for tethering. And for visual voicemail (although I think t-Mobile might do this too? I thought I read that somewhere). All these extra charges/restrictions are what drive me nuts with Verizon.

So, I guess my first question should have been -- Does anyone on here actually like T-Mobile's service?
    I'm kinda surprised by the response to this so far and it has me second guessing going with T-Mobile now instead of waiting for Verizon's "spring 2010" date in the distant future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links