Voice Recognition not so good in the UK?

This is a discussion on Voice Recognition not so good in the UK? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Just throwing this one out there but wondering how people in the UK are getting on with the text-to-speech function. I have an English accent ...

Thread: Voice Recognition not so good in the UK?

Voice Recognition not so good in the UK?

Just throwing this one out there but wondering how people in the UK are getting on with the text-to-speech function.

I have an English accent and no matter what I do (change it from American to British in the menu, change it from slow to fast and everything in between), it just is terrible at figuring out what I am saying.

It seems a lot better when I am doing a quick internet search as I figure it then tried to match what I've said to other internet searches on Google's servers so that works ok. But when it comes to dictating text in an email or a text message, forget it. It just can't figure out a word of what I'm saying which is annoying because this is the feature I would use mostly.

In the menu options, there is an option to install a language setting but on my N1, that's just greyed out so I can't click on it..

Wondered if any other Brits are having the same problems and what they're doing to get it working.

(Incidentally, I did switch it back to American English, then spoke in a fake - and terrible quality - US accent and it was a lot more responsive but I feel like a bit of a buerk doing this!!)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It was 99% awful for me. I've disabled it on the keyboard, a comma is much more useful.

I get better results if I put on an american accent.. that makes me sound like the dirt farmer out of the simpsons so those around me collapse laughing

Otherwise it's just a useless novelty for me until they add a UK english setting.

JMF
    I've found sometimes it gets it perfectly and other times it's not even close.

@lavellep - same for me...just can't see myself using it instead of typing at the moment, plus I also feel a bit of an idiot dictating my text messages, with or without an accent, I think this is a problem with my 'Englishness' rather than the phone though...(another problem our American cousins probably won't have ).

...BTW does anyone know when we're going to get Google Maps Navigation functionality in the UK..?

That seems very poor, has anyone contacted google about this?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links