SIM card is PUK-locked

This is a discussion on SIM card is PUK-locked within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; If, like me, you incorrectly typed in your SIM card PIN number three times, the Nexus One locked itself down and presented a screen saying ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIM card is PUK-locked

Here's how to unlock your Nexus One locked with PUK

If, like me, you incorrectly typed in your SIM card PIN number three times, the Nexus One locked itself down and presented a screen saying that the SIM card was locked and that a PUK code was required ("Read User Guide or contact Customer Care").

Anyway a quick search of the Nexus One user guide for PUK, and the answer was revealed (link below for info).

1) Contact your mobile provider (from another phone) and ask for the PUK code. After a security check they will give you an 8-digit number.

2) On the Nexus One tap "Emergency calls only" and you will be shown the usual dialer (don't worry, it won't call any emergency service, just show you the dialer!).

3) Think of a new 4-digit PIN number.

4) Type this code into the Nexus One's dialer:
    **05*<PUK number>*<New PIN number>*<New PIN number again>#

For example:
    I received the PUK code 62862993 from my mobile provider and I want my PIN to be 1234:
    **05*62862993*1234*1234#

Get it right and your phone & SIM card will be unlocked and return to normal operation (I was too scared to find out what happens if you get it wrong...!).

Reference link:
    Nexus One user's guide - Nexus One Help
    ..scroll down to "Turning the phone on and off" section.

Have fun!
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Coming from Verizon, can you explain to me what a PUK is and what causes a PUK lock? (also, I'm sure it would help our readers)
    PIN Unlocking Key

Nick is absolutely right - my 800-t-mobile call from another line took less than a minute, after I told t-m's initial automated cust svc system, "agent".

T-m rep guided me through the string that Nick posted - unlocking my SIM and n1 - and resetting my sim pin in the same entry. Apparently the n1 will puk-lock the phone to avoid ten invalid pin tries from being entered...

Thanks, Nick - excellent info!

Just registered to say Thank you, nicklansley

I tried to assign a PIN on my N1 for the first time.
    I didn't have it locked before.
    So I selected Lock phone in the settings and a dialog popped up asking for a PIN. I entered a PIN and the phone went into PUK locked immediately.

With nicklansley instructions, I went onto the T-Mobile Live Chat and got my :nexusx: unlocked in 5min!

mah
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklansley View Post
    Get it right and your phone & SIM card will be unlocked and return to normal operation (I was too scared to find out what happens if you get it wrong...!).
    Get it wrong, and you're PUK'ed! :rofl3:

Sorry about that. Very nice post Nick! +1 to you (if this forum supported that).

I also want to give a big THANK YOU to Nick! I PUK-locked my phone too, thinking I was just adding a regular unlock code. Oy. I called AT&T for the PUK, but since just inputting that number on the phone dialer doesn't work, they told me I'd have to replace the SIM. Boooo!

BUT...I Googled 'nexus one puk lock', found this forum, tried Nick's code, and VOILA! My SIM is usable once more! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

*Note to self: make sure you know what you're actually doing before you mess around with your fancy-pants new gadget *lol*

Thanks Nick. It worked perfectly.

SIM/PUK Unlock

I did the PUK unlock and I get "PIN Change - Connection problem or invalid MMI code."

Any other thoughts? The phone works with the AT&T SIM, but no others, even brand new SIMS that are verified working in other phones, just not my N1.

If, like me, you incorrectly typed in your SIM card PIN number three times, the Nexus One locked itself down and presented a screen saying that the SIM card was locked and that a PUK code was required ("Read User Guide or contact Customer Care").

Anyway a quick search of the Nexus One user guide for PUK, and the answer was revealed (link below for info).

1) Contact your mobile provider (from another phone) and ask for the PUK code. After a security check they will give you an 8-digit number.

2) On the Nexus One tap "Emergency calls only" and you will be shown the usual dialer (don't worry, it won't call any emergency service, just show you the dialer!).

For example:
    I received the PUK code 62862993 from my mobile provider and I want my PIN to be 1234:
    **05*62862993*1234*1234#

Reference link:

Have fun!
    Nick
    Just wanted to say thanks Nick.
    The above worked perfect for me first time.

PUK Lock

For example:
    **05*62862993*1234*1234#

Reference link:

Have fun!
    Nick
    THANKS NICK, you are THE MAN!!! I'm here in Costa Rica (vacationing from USA), and accidentally typed in the wrong pin code 3 times, and had the same scenario. Did a Google search and came across this thread that saved my butt.

I won't screw that up again...

Pura Vida...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads