Unlocked in Japan!

This is a discussion on Unlocked in Japan! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Quick question ~ I am currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan and am wondering if I slap in a local sim card if the phone will ...

Thread: Unlocked in Japan!

Unlocked in Japan!

Quick question ~ I am currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan and am wondering if I slap in a local sim card if the phone will work here. I stopped in and talked to the folks at Softbank (my cell provider) and they say they use the W-CDMA format. Does this sound feasable?

Thanks for any feedback!

~abstaman

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hi I found your post from Google. Actually whoever told you your system is M-CDMA is wrong. Softbank and DoCoMo are both GSM, and Au by KDDI is CDMA or CDMA +WIN (their version of 3G).

I have an unlocked Iphone, but I am dying to try out the Nexus One. I am pretty confident it would work (both are GSM) but it depends on the frequency band.

Time will tell, but even right now they say the Nexus One doesnt work on the AT&T network (which is also GSM).

Id have to find out what kind of antenna it has.

You should be able to use the phone in Japan without any problems. The only issue would be getting one at the moment as Google will not sell into Japan from their site currently.

I plan on using mine when I travel to Japan using a rented SoftBank SIM card. I have done this in the past with other unlocked phones without any problems at all. I am pretty sure that NTT DoCoMo will also work.

Quote Originally Posted by gshocker View Post
    You should be able to use the phone in Japan without any problems. The only issue would be getting one at the moment as Google will not sell into Japan from their site currently.

I plan on using mine when I travel to Japan using a rented SoftBank SIM card. I have done this in the past with other unlocked phones without any problems at all. I am pretty sure that NTT DoCoMo will also work.
    Next time you are in town and you try it our with the Nexus One would you send me a message to let me know if it worked (data and voice). I am used to blazing fast speeds and connections here and I really want the Nexus One.. but before I shell out 500-600 dollars for it I wanna know it works with no issues.

Not possible

I have one and it is not possible to connect on softbank or docomo network. It is possible to tel and send sms but not use internet.
    i

I'm leaving for Japan (Tokyo) tomorrow. I have an unlocked phone with AT&T service. I've enable the global voice, data and sms packages through AT&T. I'll let you know if it works.

I've traveled to Japan many time with my Tilt (also AT&T). It worked without having to switch the sim card. A soft reset upon landing did the trick! Hopefully it works as easily with the N1.

I had a layover in the Norita / Tokyo airport and my Nexus One worked fine...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links