Using voice to navigate to someone in Contacts

This is a discussion on Using voice to navigate to someone in Contacts within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am not having any luck being able to use voice recognition to pull up an address for someone in my contacts. For example: I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using voice to navigate to someone in Contacts

Using voice to navigate to someone in Contacts

I am not having any luck being able to use voice recognition to pull up an address for someone in my contacts. For example: I have Jenny Harrison in my contacts. When I press the mic, I say 'Navigate to Jenny Harrison'. It confirms what I said correctly and Google Navigation opens but it then goes out to the internet to look for something called Jenny Harrison instead of pulling the address out of my Jenny Harrison contact.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do other people have this problem?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If you download the Nexus users guide it's probably in there. I am getting a correct response using voice commands but not for the contact I ask for. So that tells me it's how I have it set up in contacts or I'm not using the correct key words. But eventually, I'd like to have that too. If I hit on the answer I'll post it but right now I'm not up to navigating LOL.

Example, for making a phone call, it didn't like me saying Contact "Pete" (my son) it wants me to say Call Pete. Otherwise it goes out on google search.

Also it says google maps integration is beta on one of my attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I'm sure a voice short cut would work, but ideally you should be able to do what OP desires w/o need of a third-party app.
    I'm not sure it can't do it. People aren't even reading the users guide or trying many different ways of doing things yet LOL. So if it's not working right out of the box they way they assume it will, everyone think it wont do "it". Intuitive doesn't apply to everyone the same way.

ETA: see my post number 6, I can't find it in the guide.

OK I looked it up. On page 54 it says you can do voice "Call " [contact] and Voice "Directions to" or "Navigate to" or "Map of" but all followed by an address and it goes out on google.

So there's nothing about Navigate to a contact person's address in the users guide from what I see, the OP is correct.

It is working for me. I have a contact listed by the business name (Vicon Fabrication). I can click the search, then microphone and speak "Navigate to Vicon Fabrication" and a small window opens with the name I stated and an OK and CANCEL button. If I click OK, it starts up Google Maps and lists the route on the map. I can click the "list" icon on the map and it will show the turn-by-turn written directions, too.

If the GPS is not already on, it first opens a window asking whether to turn on GPS or not.

The behavior you're seeing isn't what I'm expecting Maris. I was expecting 'Navigate' to come up, not Google Maps. Do you have a phone number associated with that contact or just the address?

Quote Originally Posted by emooney View Post
    The behavior you're seeing isn't what I'm expecting Maris. I was expecting 'Navigate' to come up, not Google Maps. Do you have a phone number associated with that contact or just the address?
    I do have a phone number associated with that contact. The voice navigation in Google Maps opens for me, but now that I have checked into it further, I see that the navigation only seems to work with my "business" contacts. If I just speak a name (for example, a family member's) it doesn't seem to work the same. It lists the name with a "call xxx home / call xxx mobile" so maybe it isn't working exactly for me either. I had only navigated to business contacts until this thread.

I don't think its possible yet. It seems right now the voice search only does search of whats around you and so does view map and navigation.

I think the quickest way to navigate to contacts is to tab contacts and then select contacts address.

I just did a test where I created a new Contact with only the 'Company', 'Phone' and 'Address' fields populated. Made sure it was in my contact list and then I selected the Voice Command. I said 'Navigate to The Harrison Company' and it confirmed the name correctly. But it went out to google instead of looking through my contacts.

This is pretty big because I thought the whole idea of the voice command was to keep you from fiddling with your phone while you're driving.

Yeah, I just wanted a way to do it all through voice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links