Will the current (T-Mobile) N1 work on Verizon when they are ready?

This is a discussion on Will the current (T-Mobile) N1 work on Verizon when they are ready? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by joker And for your info, CDMA has nothing do with the world, no one outside the USA uses CDMA. This is 100% ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the current (T-Mobile) N1 work on Verizon when they are ready?

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    And for your info, CDMA has nothing do with the world, no one outside the USA uses CDMA.
    This is 100% false. CDMA networks are used in over 40 countries outside the U.S. These include Canada, Mexico, Brazil, China, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Venezuela. Its true that GSM covers more countries, particularly in Europe, but CDMA is common in North America, South America, and Asia.

On the original topic, the current N1s will not work on Verizon's U.S. network, there's no way to activate it because its GSM and Verizon is CDMA. I expect there will be a good supply of second hand GSM N1s for sale when the CDMA version becomes available.

I understand all the Tech Specs... and that Google has only "marketed" this GSM version. But does anyone have any proof that this phone doesn't also have the ability to switch to CDMA when Verizon says, "We are ready!"

If you do the "Force 3G trick" here: Fix: Force the Google Nexus One to Use 3G Only (T-Mobile) | Android | Tech-Recipes it will take you to some options to choose a network, some of which are CDMA...

Anyone know the story about that???

No it will not work.

CDMA (Code division multiple access) is a spread spectrum multiple access technique, allowing several transmitters to send information simultaneously over a single communication channel. This allows several users to share a bandwidth of different frequencies. CDMA is a proprietary standard designed by Qualcomm here in San Diego. Some will agree that the CDMA is more technologically advanced than that of GSM.

GSM (Global system for mobile communications) is estimated to be used by about 80% of the world market. It's frequencies enable international roaming arrangements between mobile phone operators, providing subscribers the use of their phones in many parts of the world. GSM differs from CDMA technologies in that both signaling and speech channels are digital.

In the United States only GSM phones use SIM cards. The removable SIM card allows phones to be instantly activated, interchanged, swapped out and upgraded, all without carrier intervention. The SIM itself is tied to the network, rather than the actual phone. Phones that are card-enabled can be used with any GSM carrier.

The CDMA equivalent, a R-UIM card, require proprietary handsets that are linked to one carrier only and are not card-enabled. To upgrade a CDMA phone, the carrier must deactivate the old phone then activate the new one. The old phone becomes useless.

Most people will agree for the average consumer it all comes down to who has the best and most reliable coverage in your area... However now that here in the U.S., most all carriers are on the same level playing field which brings me to my opinion...

I would never in a million years be tied down to a locked network controlling what phones I can use and how I can use them (hint: Verizon!) For me GSM is the only way to go. Traveling a lot overseas it allows me to simply pop out my sim card and put in a local sim card and pay pennies on the dollar rather than international roaming. Also if I wanted to switch phones for the day, pop in my sim card and presto.

In the perfect celluar utopia consumers should rely on their carriers to simply supply their best network they can offer and then move out of the way...

Sorry for the rant

Sorry to be such a nub... I think I understand the difference between the two kinds of networks, GSM and CDMA... BUT, My question still remains... Could this phone possibly carry both technologies? I had a Blackberry back in the day that did both CDMA and GSM... why not this one? Especially when it, like my last post mentions, gives you options to choose the CDMA network...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links