Is Nexus One going to work with Cricket?

This is a discussion on Is Nexus One going to work with Cricket? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am a big fan of Cricket and currently using black berry storm 9530. I have been enjoying many free service within the cricket including ...

Thread: Is Nexus One going to work with Cricket?

Is Nexus One going to work with Cricket?

I am a big fan of Cricket and currently using black berry storm 9530. I have been enjoying many free service within the cricket including the global texting. I can be able to text anywhere. I am not sure if the Google Nexus One will work with the Cricket because the phone seems to support only the GSM/EDGE System which work only with sim cards.

Regards,
    Carol

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Calark View Post
    I am a big fan of Cricket and currently using black berry storm 9530. I have been enjoying many free service within the cricket including the global texting. I can be able to text anywhere. I am not sure if the Google Nexus One will work with the Cricket because the phone seems to support only the GSM/EDGE System which work only with sim cards.

Regards,
    Carol
    Cricket is a CDMA provider. The Current release of the N1 will not work on the Cricket Network....

Nexus One (Cricket and Verizon)

Verizon is a CDMA network as well.

Verizon is scheduled to get the Nexus One sometime soon. It looked to be March 23rd but I don't believe it has arrived yet.

Cricket also is CDMA, they piggy back on Verizon network.

My suspension is even if you cannot buy a Nexus One directly from Cricket you can from Google. I plan to return mine and get the Verizon version so I can hopefully use the Cricket plan I have now, no contract, unlimited minutes, text--messages, long distance, caller id, voice-mail.... and more, for only $25 a month. (Buy 3 months in advance and get one month free, I buy 9 months and get 3 free)

Add to that the cost of a data plan if you wish and you have a totally functional smart phone for an affordable and smart price.

Quote Originally Posted by delicious View Post
    Verizon is a CDMA network as well.

Verizon is scheduled to get the Nexus One sometime soon. It looked to be March 23rd but I don't believe it has arrived yet.

Cricket also is CDMA, they piggy back on Verizon network.

My suspension is even if you cannot buy a Nexus One directly from Cricket you can from Google. I plan to return mine and get the Verizon version so I can hopefully use the Cricket plan I have now, no contract, unlimited minutes, text--messages, long distance, caller id, voice-mail.... and more, for only $25 a month. (Buy 3 months in advance and get one month free, I buy 9 months and get 3 free)

Add to that the cost of a data plan if you wish and you have a totally functional smart phone for an affordable and smart price.
    Cricket doesn't piggyback off Verizon. They have their own network, and use different bands for 3G.

I cannot recall where I saw my information regarding what I've said, but I did read it somewhere, so if it is incorrect then I am sorry.

If you have some insight in the matter please feel free to post where you have read where Cricket does get its 3g and network. I am happy to be corrected if it is true.

Thanks.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delicious View Post
    I cannot recall where I saw my information regarding what I've said, but I did read it somewhere, so if it is incorrect then I am sorry.

If you have some insight in the matter please feel free to post where you have read where Cricket does get its 3g and network. I am happy to be corrected if it is true.

Thanks.

Leap. I believe Leap acquired them around late 07 early 08

OK I have found this link suggesting Leap acquired cricket: Leap Wireless - Media Relations - Press Release

Never-the-less Verizon and Cricket both use CDMA, or Code Division Multiple Access, in fact many carriers do: "Sprint, Virgin Mobile and Verizon Wireless, (and Cricket)" here is a link i found to show this:
    What is CDMA? Definition of CDMA: Cell Phone Glossary

With that said, an unlocked Nexus One that uses CDMA tech could hypothetically be used on any of these carriers. I was about to get stuck with ATT and their pricey plan, but I have opted to wait until Verizon comes out with the phone, or better, and attempt to use it there since I have such a sweet deal with Cricket.

I realize it that Crickets 3g will probably not be like att in speed or even coverage, but I really have appreciated crickets flat cost and no b.s. way of conducting business. If it works I suspect I will use Google Voice and VOIP more, even though I have free minutes, just to see how they work.

Unlimited voice, msg, data and so on for $25 a month + what ever cricket charges for 3g if I want it (and that can be removed and added monthly as it is non-contract binding) sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links