Data charges and roaming

This is a discussion on Data charges and roaming within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I know this has been a big issue with always connected phones line the Android series and iPhone... When traveling overseas (or even in Canada, ...

Thread: Data charges and roaming

Data charges and roaming

I know this has been a big issue with always connected phones line the Android series and iPhone... When traveling overseas (or even in Canada, for the US people here) you can get slammed with huge data roaming charges even if you turn off syncing.

Has there been a good/easy solution for this? My boss will be traveling to Asia and will be bringing his N1 with him. What can he do to maintain some functionality (calls?) without the massive data hit in the background.

Anyone have experience with this?

Neil

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by cxm View Post
    I use apndroid to turn off mobile wireless data when I want to, and netcounter to make sure that it setup properly and nothing is using mobile data without me knowing. Both work on n1 and free in app store
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give these a try. Phone calls still work fine, correct?

Nice combination: APNDroid and NetCounter

Wah - APNDroid and NetCounter were great suggestions!
    I racked up a $300 bill my first month of using the Nexus thinking I was only getting data though my wireless connections. These apps plugged that leak very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
    I know this has been a big issue with always connected phones line the Android series and iPhone... When traveling overseas (or even in Canada, for the US people here) you can get slammed with huge data roaming charges even if you turn off syncing.

Has there been a good/easy solution for this? My boss will be traveling to Asia and will be bringing his N1 with him. What can he do to maintain some functionality (calls?) without the massive data hit in the background.

Anyone have experience with this?

Neil
    The reason I chose this phone was because I traveled overseas to China quite often, and I have an overseas Simcard with China Mobile. I was going to turn on their data service and use my simcard over there. In that case I'm still plugged into data service, and it's quite inexpensive, about $15 dollars for 2gb of data. I read somewhere online that even T-mobile has a soft 1gb data cut off, is that true? Using overseas sim card will allow me to check my voicemail's in the U.S. and make International Calls cheaply with China mobile sim, and cheap data service without incurring roaming charges.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links