Google Voice

This is a discussion on Google Voice within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I was just reading up on the phone and I came across this " Google Voice What would a Google phone be without Google ...

Thread: Google Voice

Google Voice

So I was just reading up on the phone and I came across this

"Google Voice What would a Google phone be without Google Voice? One of this phone's big selling points is this fantastic feature, and reviewers who mentioned it, loved it. TechCrunch especially loved it: "First, Google Voice is deeply integrated with the phone, as it is with all Android phones. That means you can assign your Google Voice number to the phone, and use it to make all outbound calls and text messages. In my opinion this is the single biggest selling point for Android phones, and why I won't switch away from the platform any time soon.""

So when we use Google Voice to make all outbound calls how does that change anything?? Anybody care to explain?
    Thank you.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Just got off the phone with HTC support and the tech guy said that all calls made using Google Voice will not count towards your plan minutes. Impressive.

I think he was misinformed. Google Voice in its current form is nothing more than a "middle man", so to speak. When someone dials your Google Voice number, Google looks up your associated numbers and then rings each of the specified phones that you want calls forwarded to. This does in fact use your voice plan minutes, as the calls are not VoIP based. The same goes for outdialing. You are actually calling your Google Voice number through voice, not data, which then bridges you with the party you're calling.

Texting through Google Voice, on the other hand, is completely free.

Take that with a grain of salt comming from an HTC guy. I'll beleive it when I hear it from a carrier. GV Basicly just connects two parties through one number, but if you need minutes to connect tot he google number you'll use them up.

EDIT: jdd beat me to it...
    Rooted Nexus One

I think there's probably plans in the works to make Google Voice a fully integrated VoIP solution at some point, as Google purchased Gizmo5 not long ago, but the timetable on that is anyone's guess.

Ha i wished! Um that's not correct at all...I already looked at my bill, also your actually dialing a number. Unfortunately charges will be applied. Sad thing is someone who works for the company said that. They should be fired. He doesntt even need to be in the HTC building.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfever View Post
    Ha i wished! Um that's not correct at all...I already looked at my bill, also your actually dialing a number. Unfortunately charges will be applied. Sad thing is someone who works for the company said that. They should be fired. He doesntt even need to be in the HTC building.
    He likely misunderstood when it was explained to him. For example if you use it with your home number, you can infact make free calls. On a landline you are only charged for calls you make. If someone calls you, it is free. What Google voice will do is CALL your phone in this instance.

As I'm sure you know, cell phones charge you minutes if you place the call or receive, so it does not work the same way. He likely heard an explanation of getting "free long distance" when using it with your home phone and put 2 and 2 together and assumed it was VOIP. I'd assume one day it will be VOIP, as others have said, since they bought Gizmo5.

Quote Originally Posted by jdd48 View Post
    I think he was misinformed. Google Voice in its current form is nothing more than a "middle man", so to speak. When someone dials your Google Voice number, Google looks up your associated numbers and then rings each of the specified phones that you want calls forwarded to. This does in fact use your voice plan minutes, as the calls are not VoIP based. The same goes for outdialing. You are actually calling your Google Voice number through voice, not data, which then bridges you with the party you're calling.

How do I send a text message from my phone, using Google Voice? This can be done without having it count towards my phone line's texts?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiorenzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd48 View Post

How do I send a text message from my phone, using Google Voice? This can be done without having it count towards my phone line's texts?
    I'm not sure, as I don't have an N1, but I am sure someone can explain it. And yes, as long as texts are sent via Google Voice, they are free.

There's a video on youtube in fact where Google actually tells you that texts via Google Voice are free: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBTuOYPwtss[/ame]

I wish GV was voip right now! that would be great but time will tell.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links