Region setting for Phone numbers

This is a discussion on Region setting for Phone numbers within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was wondering if anyone figured out how to get the correct regional settings on the Nexus One :nexusx: so the phone number is displayed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region setting for Phone numbers

Cool Region setting for Phone numbers

I was wondering if anyone figured out how to get the correct regional settings on the Nexus One :nexusx: so the phone number is displayed in it's correct format instead of displaying overseas numbers like numbers in the USA or Canada with hyphens in between the number when there shouldn't be.
    The iPhone :iphone: has this down pact when you select your region and it has a lot more countries to select from.
    This comes in handy when you travel alot.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Anyone figured the regional setting for phone number display yet? Does the Nexus One have it like the iPhone? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNuckie View Post
    I was wondering if anyone figured out how to get the correct regional settings on the Nexus One :nexusx: so the phone number is displayed in it's correct format instead of displaying overseas numbers like numbers in the USA or Canada with hyphens in between the number when there shouldn't be.
    The iPhone :iphone: has this down pact when you select your region and it has a lot more countries to select from.
    This comes in handy when you travel alot.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Unless you root the phone or get a third party app, there is nothing at the moment that can be done.

Remember this is a Nexus gen. is for the North American market and therefore is software enabled for such.

The phone asks your region when you switch it on for the first time after receiving it. I set mine to UK and my numbers show as xxxxxxxxxx not xxx-xxxxxxx.

Is this what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post

Unless you root the phone or get a third party app, there is nothing at the moment that can be done.

Remember this is a Nexus gen. is for the North American market and therefore is software enabled for such.
    Just to correct this, I've just set my locale to English US and the numbers go to xxx-xxx-xxxx format etc. Switching the locale back to English UK returns it to UK layout.

So if your locale is available, you will be fine.

It kind of sucks for people who travel often as it does not allow you to manually display country codes according to numbers and country codes. One would have thought that something like this would be pretty basic.

Why can't they program the numbers to appear properly according to city and country when address information is typed into contacts list.

Another problem I have noticed is that the + sign vanishes in front of the numbers when sim card is replaced in another country or when phone is reset and contact list is restored from contacts that were backed up before a reset.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tribz View Post

Just to correct this, I've just set my locale to English US and the numbers go to xxx-xxx-xxxx format etc. Switching the locale back to English UK returns it to UK layout.

Understand your meaning. Unfortunately there are only a small bunch of regional settings since I guess Nexus didn't anticipated this to be a complete "WORLD" phone from the beginning. Look at all the countries the iPhone gives you to enter for regional settings.
    I travel through North America and Asia on business and it would be nice to have the numbers display in their proper regional format. Like it was available through purchase at the start in the USA and shipped to places like the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore but it didn't even give you the option to have the regional settings for those 2 asian cities.
    I hope Google/HTC comes out with a update or patch for this soon.
    It's the little things that matter and if they Google wants this phone to be "World Class" then they should pay more attention to what is out there right now.

I'm in HK so I set it to Chinese Traditional and the number I enter goes continuously without hyphens. Yet I entered all my phone numbers in the international call format like +852-1234-5678 , +1-415-999-9999 , +66-88-888-8888 so i can call anyone anywhere without bothering with international call codes and country codes.

When the local number 12341234 calls me, the phone still shows 12341234, with the correct name and contact icon shown. In the call log it will still show 12341234 for a second or two but then it will change back to +852-1234-1234. it's cool for me because I can put the hyphens anywhere as I like to make the numbers easier to read for myself.

More surprising (to me) is that you can also call abc-abc-abc for the number 222-222-222, but the entry has to be made inside the Gmail contact list and synced to the phone because you can only use numberpad when you're in a number field. And you still need to have the number 222-222-222 entered in the same contact or after you called abc-abc-abc the call log only shows 222-222-222 without relating it to a contact name even you dialed from it. May be not useful but just for fun

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by getburnt View Post
    I'm in HK so I set it to Chinese Traditional and the number I enter goes continuously without hyphens. Yet I entered all my phone numbers in the international call format like +852-1234-5678 , +1-415-999-9999 , +66-88-888-8888 so i can call anyone anywhere without bothering with international call codes and country codes.

When the local number 12341234 calls me, the phone still shows 12341234, with the correct name and contact icon shown. In the call log it will still show 12341234 for a second or two but then it will change back to +852-1234-1234. it's cool for me because I can put the hyphens anywhere as I like to make the numbers easier to read for myself.

More surprising (to me) is that you can also call abc-abc-abc for the number 222-222-222, but the entry has to be made inside the Gmail contact list and synced to the phone because you can only use numberpad when you're in a number field. And you still need to have the number 222-222-222 entered in the same contact or after you called abc-abc-abc the call log only shows 222-222-222 without relating it to a contact name even you dialed from it. May be not useful but just for fun
    So you're saying you have to change it to Chinese traditional language in order to see the correct regional format or still keep it US English and enter the phone numbers as you stated and still see the same

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNuckie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribz View Post

Understand your meaning. Unfortunately there are only a small bunch of regional settings since I guess Nexus didn't anticipated this to be a complete "WORLD" phone from the beginning. Look at all the countries the iPhone gives you to enter for regional settings.
    I travel through North America and Asia on business and it would be nice to have the numbers display in their proper regional format. Like it was available through purchase at the start in the USA and shipped to places like the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore but it didn't even give you the option to have the regional settings for those 2 asian cities.
    I hope Google/HTC comes out with a update or patch for this soon.
    It's the little things that matter and if they Google wants this phone to be "World Class" then they should pay more attention to what is out there right now.
    The + in front of the numbers usually vanishes as well for some odd reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links