android keyboard is the only input method available.. what am I missing?

This is a discussion on android keyboard is the only input method available.. what am I missing? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Just got the phone , charged it fully and put in my ATT sim to test if before getting a tmobile account. It appears the ...

Thread: android keyboard is the only input method available.. what am I missing?

android keyboard is the only input method available.. what am I missing?

Just got the phone , charged it fully and put in my ATT sim to test if before getting a tmobile account. It appears the only way I can use voice is for a web search. Whenever I go to create a new email or anything else with a text field, I don't see a MIC. If I click input methods, the only one available is "android keyboard". can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'll try and help a bit here...

if you go into your "additional apps menu" there is a "voice dialer" app. You can move this to your home screen and use to call your contacts. You can say "call Bob" or whatever your contacts names are.

For texting, if you open the text messaging program of your choice, click on the text field and then swipe left to right on the keyboard, it will bring up the voice input screen and you can speak the text you wish to send.

Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by misticjeff View Post

if you go into your "additional apps menu" there is a "voice dialer" app. You can move this to your home screen and use to call your contacts. You can say "call Bob" or whatever your contacts names are.

For texting, if you open the text messaging program of your choice, click on the text field and then swipe left to right on the keyboard, it will bring up the voice input screen and you can speak the text you wish to send.

Hope this helped.
    Ok, so far so good, but what about for other text fields like email? As in if I wanted to dictate an entire email?

Quote Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misticjeff View Post

Hope this helped.
    Ok, so far so good, but what about for other text fields like email? As in if I wanted to dictate an entire email?
    Same with email.... for the "To", "From", "Subject", and body of the email, if you swipe left to right on the keyboard it will bring up the voice applet. For "To" and "From" you speak contact names and if they have more than one email address, it will give you a choice of which to use.

ahh, I'm slow. I don't have any contacts in here yet, so the to field wasn't working. Thanks for the help everyone!

Also take a look here about 1/8th down the page. It discusses the voice features of Android 2.1.

Android 2.1’s Best Features in Screenshots | Smarterware

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links