Up to expectations??!!

This is a discussion on Up to expectations??!! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by gr8gorilla I like the customizable nature of "nix" powered devices. I have always enjoyed the Linux platform because it is mine. It ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up to expectations??!!

Quote Originally Posted by gr8gorilla View Post
    I like the customizable nature of "nix" powered devices. I have always enjoyed the Linux platform because it is mine. It isn't controlled by Gates, or Jobs. It is what I want. The truth is that with any Linux style device, it is what "YOU" make it. It isn't controlled. To the "Tech Savvy" user this a boon, to the moron, with little to no computer skills, this is a nightmare. If you want a business device that just works, and if you have a problem you can call some IT guy at work and cry about it, then buy a BlackBerry. If you want an overpriced, over-managed, look I have the same phone everyone else in the world has, by all means, buy an iPhone. If you want a device that you can customize, integrates seamlessly with everything Google, has the most RAM (nokia tablet excluded), fastest processor on the market, and the most beautiful screen, then buy the NEXUS ONE!
    Only morons think Linux software developers are morons!

Quote Originally Posted by 1st-NX1 View Post
    For those who provided support, thank you. For flamers, being fanatic does not help promote the platform.

The day nexus one site was open for business, I order one. The funny thing I wanted to order 3 but didn't eventually and will come back to this later. The very same day, I downloaded the user manual, exported my contacts (as vcards) to my pc, synced up my calendar to google. the day I received the device, I hooked it up to PC and imported/sync'd contacts/calendar.

Well, I do not know about others, but I have 4 mobiles (toys) that i use daily. 2 business and 2 personal. I keep current information on the handsets and occasionally sync with PC. Not all devices have the same information. That said, I want full control on what, where and when the information should be. Forcing calendar/contact sync in both directions is not always desirable. Android should give the user full control (all other devices do).

For the threaded email, I can delete or forward a single message on the web, can't do that on the phone!!! Why not?

Do you do phone banking? do you get SMS confirmation messages on your phone and get bank promotional messages as well? they all go into the same thread! I want to delete the ads but keep the confirmation messages. Nope, can't do that. try it for yourself. Did you try to (while showing off the gadget to your colleagues) to forward a single sms (joke) to them? can't do, or may be it is me!

File managers, I have got those installed day one. But why not built in? How did android developers/sales expect users to move songs, movies, pictures from one folder to another folder on the phone (on the SD)?

See, I am not the marketing guru or the expert in consumer life style experience. I am an early adopter of technology and comparing MY experience with mobile handsets OUT OF THE BOX. I had better experience out of the box with SE P800 about 5 years ago (or even more!). If andriod had been out for two years, I would expect a little more and I am not a demanding customer!

Google should provide more built in (BASIC) features in the product to fly. I still need to get two handsets for close ones. One device should be easy for a novice to sync info all the time without limitation. The other device should is for a music lover. I'll wait for couple off months to see if X10 or HTC have better implementations.

Okay, so some of the issues you mention have already been answered, and even though they are frustrating, there are some easy fixes, and have little to do with this phone specifically.

However, there is another issue here, which comes up since you mention HTC; on their own phones which they have full control of (like Hero), they put that nice "Sense" UI and specific features. Are you wondering why Nexus doesn't have any such nice touches? The answer is very straightforward: Nexus One is the "Google" phone; it represents the raw potential of Google's Android platform all by itself. The very principle here is to suggest that no further customization is necessary for a great experience.

Why no file manager? Look at built-in file managers: they get the job done (barely), but never give you enough functionality that you wouldn't get another one if you are a serious user. Why bundle an application that isn't worth keeping in the long run? Android gives you a base set of features that are very solid, and then allows you to easily expand based on what you want. It would be much more convenient to have a list of "the best" file managers to choose from right away, but Android allows all developers equal access to potential users, and that's part of what makes the platform and community so great. It's not a system which leaves things half done, even if that requires some modular functionality.

As for syncing; I agree that it's very annoying for me not to have 100% control over where things go. I don't like syncing at all. But many people do, and Android allows them to connect as they wish.

about the threaded messages: that doesn't sound right, there's probably a way to delete certain ones. Try holding down on that particular message.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post
    about the threaded messages: that doesn't sound right, there's probably a way to delete certain ones. Try holding down on that particular message.
    The only complaint OP has that holds water, imho, is the inability to delete a nested email. Single SMS , even in threads, can be fowarded/deleted with long-press for context menu. Google threading in email currently only allows reply/reply all/forward options on a nested email. I suspect they can fix this easily, and the current workaround app is K9 mail, which is not threaded (and allows all the actions OP desires wrt email). Still, even in GMail threads, he can label them as appropriate, edit his sync options, and sync only those labels, thus he gets selective syncing. OP still has never asked for help on any of this, btw.

(btw. Gmail on the web, the nested email can be deleted using the arrow dropdown in the upper right corner of the message).
    Thank you Alpha and thanks to eizze who mentioned this earlier. For some reason, i tried few times and it did not work (or I could not get it to work). It is working now and you can forward, delete, edit, etc... single text msgs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links