Up to expectations??!!

This is a discussion on Up to expectations??!! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi all, I have been following many of the discussions on the forum. I have been looking forward for the nexus one to improve on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up to expectations??!!

Up to expectations??!!

Hi all,

I have been following many of the discussions on the forum. I have been looking forward for the nexus one to improve on previous releases of android. I have been using my new toy for last week and compared to previous experiences with symbian (P800, P900, m600i) and Nokia 97 and windows HTC MW 5.5/6.0. I find the nexus to be the most limiting in capabilities and features!!

I know I will be bombarded with responses regarding my opinion but I see no excuse for Google not to improve on a product that had been in the market for over 2 years (android not the nexus) except that Google has set its strategy to tie the phone to network (which sound in concept) rather than providing a PRACTICAL mobile device to the end consumer!! After all, this is a phone that I want to put my information on and take it and use it any place I want.

SOME of the limitations I discovered with the phone and had not been addressed for a while:

I keep all my personal contacts/calender/tasks on my current mobile (nokia). I do not see why do I have to sync my contacts/calender to my gmail account to get it to my phone? This is a basic feature provided by every vendor on this planet!

- If I sync my calender to gmail, then remove those from account, it will remove from my nexus once I sync again?!

- I can not delete a single message from the thread (sms or email). Threaded email/sms is a neat idea but on the phone is very limited compared to functionality on the web!

- I removed the search widget from home page and can not restore it again?

- Need a tool to managed folders on the phone?!

If I want to compare my experience with other platforms, the list could go on and on. When SE, Nokia, Microsoft (or even apple for that matter) released their phone for first time, they have given their product some good thought! I am convinced those issues could have been sorted out by Google way before releasing the product. Its seems they do not want to at the expense of consumer experience. I do not see how Google can capture market share without paving the way for the customers to move from the current usage pattern to the network central strategy without giving the tools to make the shift.

I like the toy but won't recommend for people looking for a PRACTICAL mobile that blend in their life style than the other way around!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

seems you are talking about Android rather than the Nexus One. It's rather sensationalistic to announce that you will be taking issue with the phone itself, and then not mention it.

I'm coming from a history of S60 phones myself, but I don't find the transition that difficult. If you don't like syncing with google, turn syncing off, it's not mandatory. As for sms, there are alternative applications which provide different functionality, you can use one which best suits you. S60 does have some decent SMS programs, but I'd say they're about even.

Managed folders - yeah, that part sucks, but there's going to be a huge change soon allegedly, in that more apps are supposedly going to be able to run from the SD card. The kernel will be undergoing a change as well, so it's a prime time to evaluate file managing access. Fingers crossed, but point well taken. Still not an N1 problem though.

You can restore any widget, just hold your finger on the screen for a few seconds, and it will ask you what you want to put.

In terms of competing: Google is aiming for an area of the market it can actually capture: the part that relates to its own services. Google/Android will never be able to compete with WinMo for support of Microsoft services. It won't be able to compete with Blackberry for the enterprise market (due to current proliferation/IT restrictions - this could change over several years, but is incredibly unlikely as RIM controls over 20% of the market). It won't be able to compete with Nokia in terms of sheer numbers, since symbian is what programers and users are more used to. All it can do it present itself, and compete in the open media (iPhone -ish) areas of the market, which admittedly aren't that big. It's doing a pretty great job there though, and definitely touches on more of the business side than the iPhone so far.

Still, if you want a great business phone, it's true that Android is not the best OS. WinMo 7 sounds like it will be impressive, and Symbian is making strides to ensure it stays relevant and accessible to all sectors. Blackberry will definitely be supported by most companies' IT departments, so that's the bonus there.

@ alphawave7 - While I think the OP is whining a bit, your response seems pretty hostile. It's a good opportunity to point out the strengths of the system if you wish to refute, or ignore the OP if you don't care for the kind of discussion, but escalating doesn't really work much in anyone's favor..

I'm guessing this will be the first Android device for a large number of people (myself included). Many of them aren't tech savvy, so it makes sense that they will be frustrated and need support. It's to our advantage to help them, since that will make the community and platform grow, rather than scaring them back off to their original preference.

Speaking as a potential android/N1 customer and a long standing win-mo user (since 2002 and the HTC canary/SPV on orange) i find any input from either camp (for & against) useful as it's all helping me make a judgement on whether i should buy the phone or wait.

I appreciate any information that is posted that perhaps is missing from the many reviews i've trawled so please keep it coming.

All I can say is my last phone was a Samsung Omnia i900 on Windows 6.1, before that I had a Nokia N95. The N95 I quite liked but the battery life was abyssmal and it was limited in features. I had all sorts of problems syncing it to my PC. The Omnia I liked to start with, but soon found Windows was a pain. The syncing worked off and on, but seemed to delete stuff when I didn't want it to which is BAD from a business point of view. I should also point out on both phones I needed a physical connection between phone and PC and software on the PC. I could not get either to work with Bluetooth or WiFi

Now the Nexus. Syncs to Google painlessly through WiFi or 3G. Even when I don't have my phone handy, or I am roaming abroad, I can control everything from the web. I also have downloaded apps to sync Calendar and contacts between Google and Outlook, though I can see a time in the not too distant future when Google will become my default calendar, it is decidedly less clunky than Outlook.

And as someone pointed out, syncing means just that, that both are the same, are synchronised, not that you can have both showing different things. What is your problem with that? Sync it to Outlook one way, then you can delete from Google quite happily and still have it in Outlook.

Yes the threading idea is very good, particularly for SMS use, but perhaps Google should have allowed the option of separate items rather than threads for people who don't like the idea. I don't find it a problem to use though and in fact it has many benefits from a business point of view.

So, to sum up, so far you've been given workarounds or pointers for everything except your dislike of threaded mail?

Personally, this is in my opinion, the best phone I have had yet, it is easy to use, and after familiarisation with its methods, totally intuitive. It is a great business tool as well as great for private use. OK I've only had it getting on for a week but I still find things that surprise me, for example just this morning I found that when you hold it to your ear, it turns off the display, bring it away from the ear and the display is on again. The Omnia you have to press three buttons to get the screen back with a keypad, so frustrating when you are going through the inevitable "Press 3 if you are calling to discuss....." Menus. The call sound quality is excellent, the noise cancelling quite amazing, the voice to text the best I've seen so far, and coupled with the Google Translation app, tremendous for travelling, there are a huge variety of apps which have given me all the functionality I need and I can load up my own music without having to go via itunes!!

No, I think you are translating a personal dislike, and we all have personal dislikes, into excuses that don't quite hold up. Think positively, try the solutions people have offered and you may just change your mind

Just long touch a messahe to delete a single one.

Good points all. To me this still seems like an Android discussion, and not one about the phone. The N1's biggest competition right now is probably from the iPhone and MILESTONE, and since the latter also has Android, it's interesting to consider the N1 in terms of the device itself.

For example: I find the N1 has the fastest camera I've ever used on a mobile phone, with fairly decent images. It doesn't match the N95/82 in terms of quality or zoom ability though (I'm incredibly anti-flash, so I don't care what it has in that regard, and neither should any photography hobbiest). The speed really does it for me, so in that regard, I'm really happy with this phone.

Accessories: I know of ...none? For people who like accessories, that certainly seems like it could be an issue. I guess that's a pretty legitimate consideration. The most obvious would be things like car mounts, etc.. though I'm sure there will be some around soon if not already.

Form: Few people mention this, but since the screen is not 16:9, you never get to use the full thing for viewing clips. You always get those black bars one way or another, though with OLED at least they stay black in the background. Still a surprising choice and disadvantage compared to the MILESTONE.

Sound: call quality is good, but the phone is quite quiet. If you like more noise, the MILESTONE is playing your tune.

Support: Billing aside, HTC has amazing tech support. I've had a few issues, and still working through the last of it, but they have been amazingly fast, friendly, and helpful all the way along. Really an A+ experience.

Wifi: Wireless draft n is awesome. Do you know this phone is one of the only in like.. the world.. to have it? Maybe some closed market Korean and Japanese phones can do this, but N1 can fly on wifi, really.

Construction: Lens cover on the battery case...? AWESOME. Never worry about scratching that lens, because it can't cost more than a few cents to make that part. probably $10 by the time we get it, but still, compared to other phones? That's like a free pass to do as you wish.

If you're going with an Android phone, there's really little reason not to scoop up an N1. The MILESTONE is a better choice for some people though, and both are pretty expensive. It's also worth noting that the Android experience probably isn't all that different on the cheaper phones, so if you really just like the features of a few key programs, just go cheap and simple. Overall: Still see no reason not to like the N1, regardless of what you end up buying. It's either your buddy, or "the cute phone next door", but either way it comes with a smile.

I like the customizable nature of "nix" powered devices. I have always enjoyed the Linux platform because it is mine. It isn't controlled by Gates, or Jobs. It is what I want. The truth is that with any Linux style device, it is what "YOU" make it. It isn't controlled. To the "Tech Savvy" user this a boon, to the moron, with little to no computer skills, this is a nightmare. If you want a business device that just works, and if you have a problem you can call some IT guy at work and cry about it, then buy a BlackBerry. If you want an overpriced, over-managed, look I have the same phone everyone else in the world has, by all means, buy an iPhone. If you want a device that you can customize, integrates seamlessly with everything Google, has the most RAM (nokia tablet excluded), fastest processor on the market, and the most beautiful screen, then buy the NEXUS ONE!
    :nexusx:Proud new owner of Nexus One as of 1/11/10
    Unlocked Rooted
    Amon-RA recovery v1.7.0(Cyanogen Mod Version)
    Cyanogen Mod LATEST! (Beta or Stable)
    Baked In MoDaCo's Kitchen!
    NexTHEME
    Helix Launcher2
    16GB Class 6 MicroSD

Twitter @Gr8gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by gr8gorilla View Post
    To the "Tech Savvy" user this a boon, to the moron, with little to no computer skills, this is a nightmare.
    Genius:
    1. an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.: the genius of Mozart.

dictionary.com

Doesn't say anything about computer skills. Let's embrace the fact that there are very intelligent people who don't know the same things we do. Also, Google doesn't give you a totally open platform here: having to invalidate your warranty on a launch device is too much to ask to be called "open". Maemo is a decent example, but it's not that user friendly, and currently limited to the hardware it was developed for. If you're still dying for an insult to hurl, I guess "neo-luddite" works.

For those who provided support, thank you. For flamers, being fanatic does not help promote the platform.

The day nexus one site was open for business, I order one. The funny thing I wanted to order 3 but didn't eventually and will come back to this later. The very same day, I downloaded the user manual, exported my contacts (as vcards) to my pc, synced up my calendar to google. the day I received the device, I hooked it up to PC and imported/sync'd contacts/calendar.

Well, I do not know about others, but I have 4 mobiles (toys) that i use daily. 2 business and 2 personal. I keep current information on the handsets and occasionally sync with PC. Not all devices have the same information. That said, I want full control on what, where and when the information should be. Forcing calendar/contact sync in both directions is not always desirable. Android should give the user full control (all other devices do).

For the threaded email, I can delete or forward a single message on the web, can't do that on the phone!!! Why not?

Do you do phone banking? do you get SMS confirmation messages on your phone and get bank promotional messages as well? they all go into the same thread! I want to delete the ads but keep the confirmation messages. Nope, can't do that. try it for yourself. Did you try to (while showing off the gadget to your colleagues) to forward a single sms (joke) to them? can't do, or may be it is me!

File managers, I have got those installed day one. But why not built in? How did android developers/sales expect users to move songs, movies, pictures from one folder to another folder on the phone (on the SD)?

See, I am not the marketing guru or the expert in consumer life style experience. I am an early adopter of technology and comparing MY experience with mobile handsets OUT OF THE BOX. I had better experience out of the box with SE P800 about 5 years ago (or even more!). If andriod had been out for two years, I would expect a little more and I am not a demanding customer!

Google should provide more built in (BASIC) features in the product to fly. I still need to get two handsets for close ones. One device should be easy for a novice to sync info all the time without limitation. The other device should is for a music lover. I'll wait for couple off months to see if X10 or HTC have better implementations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links