Google navigation in the UK

This is a discussion on Google navigation in the UK within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; When will the UK have google navigation? Seeing as Ovi is now free in all countries....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google navigation in the UK

Google navigation in the UK

When will the UK have google navigation? Seeing as Ovi is now free in all countries.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Staker View Post
    When will the UK have google navigation? Seeing as Ovi is now free in all countries.
    Tell me about it. I don't see how it could be that much of a problem for google with all their navigation technology.

It could be a question of licensing. It looks like the UK mapping data is going to be opened up by the government in April, so maybe it will happen soon after?

Any way around it until then? It's just a matter of unlocking it, I presume? I'm in Canada and would really like to use it

Can google maps pre download the maps before heading on a journey?

Just in case you are going through a "no signal zone" or are roaming and want to avoid large data charges?

I ask because the OVI system stores the maps to the device and does not rely on a network connection / signal.

Yeah its a little buggy (voice doesn't always work) but follow these instructions to get it working, and don't worry, you don't need a rooted Nexus either, you just need to download a specially modified Google Maps, which you can download here

Follow these instructions, modified from this site:

1. Just download the modded Google Maps app.
    2. Connect your phone with your pc and transfer the file to your storage.
    3. Download an apk installer from the market and install (You can use “AppsInstaller“, this worked fine for me)
    4. On your phone, run AppsInstaller, then from the menu, select the new apk file for the modded Google Maps.
    5. Once installed, launch the newly installed Google Maps (there will now be two as original stays) press menu and choose directions, make a route and press start
    6. You’ll get asked to choose the nav app, choose the second (…m4ps….)

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy82 View Post
    Yeah its a little buggy (voice doesn't always work) but follow these instructions to get it working, and don't worry, you don't need a rooted Nexus either, you just need to download a specially modified Google Maps, which you can download here

Follow these instructions, modified from this site:

1. Just download the modded Google Maps app.
    2. Connect your phone with your pc and transfer the file to your storage.
    3. Download an apk installer from the market and install (You can use “AppsInstaller“, this worked fine for me)
    4. On your phone, run AppsInstaller, then from the menu, select the new apk file for the modded Google Maps.
    5. Once installed, launch the newly installed Google Maps (there will now be two as original stays) press menu and choose directions, make a route and press start
    6. You’ll get asked to choose the nav app, choose the second (…m4ps….)

Wait, so you're telling me this one ain't buggy? works just as good as the US version?

Download modded Google maps? Sounds good to me And I can't help but think/hope that this solves the offline navigation problem as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Zindol View Post
    Wait, so you're telling me this one ain't buggy? works just as good as the US version?
    Are you trying to wind me up!? Read the first line of my post! No, in fact, read the first five words of my original post!

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy82 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindol View Post
    Are you trying to wind me up!? Read the first line of my post! No, in fact, read the first five words of my original post!
    I'm being serious, thats why I'm asking from the horses mouth to reconfirm what I am interpeting from your post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links