Unlocked phone

This is a discussion on Unlocked phone within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm in the market for a new phone and am confused about purchasing an unlocked phone. What does this mean? If I purchase let's say ...

Thread: Unlocked phone

Question Unlocked phone

I'm in the market for a new phone and am confused about purchasing an unlocked phone. What does this mean? If I purchase let's say an unlocked phone do I still have to purchase a data plan or can I use it Wifi. How exactly does it work? What are the benifits of an unlocked phone. Thanks for all your help and cooperation.:nexusx:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You do not need any plan if you buy the Nexus at full price. And you can use wifi only.
    But IMHO the phone is crippled when no data plan is used.

Question Unlocked phone

But IMHO the phone is crippled when no data plan is used.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean the phone is crippled?

Most of its apps and functionality revolve around the internet, so if you move away from your wifi connection and leave the house you are moving around with a phone operating at 25% of its ability.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Typically, 'unlocked' means the phone can be used on various networks (insert sim), the hardware has not been 'locked down' (or has been unlocked) to any specific carrier. Carriers that subsidise equipment (phones) typically 'lock' them to prevent the hardware from leaving their services before a specified duration (where TMO is actually has one of the more liberal policies wrt unlocking, just call them up to find out when you can unlock yours). Confusion arises by the term 'lock/unlock' in this subsidised condition, because one your contract term has been met, you are still in possession of a locked phone, unless you unlock it. A locked or unlocked phone state has nothing to do with contract terms per se, and since TMO is not selling the phone, and Google has chosen to, we can enjoy an unlocked phone whether we are on contract or not. The full-price/unsubsidised Nexus phone is entirely free of service contracts AND can go on to any compatible carrier by sim insertion. A subsidised Nexus, however, will require a service contract, which will include data and the calling plan charges, and is subject to ETF fees from both TMO and Google, yet the phone remains in an unlocked state.
    Does that clear, or confuse even more! :rofl3:
    I found it very clear, and a very accurate summary of the state of 'unlocking' a phone....ANY phone.

Very informative! Thank you alphawave7.
    -Phunds
    :nexusx: Nexus One owner since: January 11th, 2010
    :nexusx: Rooted! Android 2.2 FROYO CM6.1 RC

phundsblog.blogspot.com | twitter.com/phunds | facebook.com/phunds

That Rocks alphawave7...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links