Phone Keypad doesnt display contacts when typing

This is a discussion on Phone Keypad doesnt display contacts when typing within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; This has been a standard feature on every phone I have owned but on the N1 I press the numbers on the keypad and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Keypad doesnt display contacts when typing

Phone Keypad doesnt display contacts when typing

This has been a standard feature on every phone I have owned but on the N1 I press the numbers on the keypad and I don't get any contacts appear? Just the number I was typing?

Is this a bug / missing feature or something I can enable?

Or is there an app that can override this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Start typing the contact name and all similar names (or the beginnings of a name) will pop up and allow you to choose...

thats the problem, it does not do this?

I start typing the name and all I get is the number I am typing?

i.e. typing "7285" should display "Paul..." but all I get is the number! No contacts are being displayed!

wait...when you got to the dialer or contacts screen, did you hit the soft-key search button before typing the name? that should bring up the keyboard to search contacts...

using the dialler is the quickest and normal way to do this (for me).. it even has the letters for each Number 2:ABC 3:DEF 4:GHI etc...

Every phone I have owned allowed this... should be able to search a contact this way as standard!

in that case, i think this is just not a feature. if T9 dialing is what you're after, star the issue here: Issue 3732 - android - [Search] Improve contact search - Project Hosting on Google Code and add a comment if you think it will help get some attention. If you don't want the email that comes with starring issues you can go to "profile" at the top right of that page, then the settings tab, and adjust your notifications preferences accordingly.

ok, i will do thanks. Was hoping there was a setting "make all my wishes come true" somewhere in there?

yeah...that's wishful thinking! i don't think there's a phone or anything else that'll do just that. The good news (if you're an optomist) is that i think the phone app/dialer fall in the range of open source, so if google doesn't adjust the android code to make it happen, someone else could. Oh, and google released Android 2.1 into the open source wild yesterday: 2.1 snapshot in Eclair branch - android-platform | Google Groups
    That means the hackers are busy hacking as we speak...

Information on obtaining the source code, if anyone is interested, is here: Get source (Android Open Source Project)

PCease, download app Handcent SMS, its free. In its messaging window, in the "to" box I think it does exactly what you're looking for.

I may be wrong, but i think he was talking about calling a contact, not texting them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links