Moving from WinMo to Android

This is a discussion on Moving from WinMo to Android within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; After a year and a half of using Windows Mobile(which I ) I am thinking of moving to Nexus One and Android However before switching ...

Thread: Moving from WinMo to Android

Moving from WinMo to Android

After a year and a half of using Windows Mobile(which I ) I am thinking of moving to Nexus One and Android

However before switching to Android I want to find out some things about Android.

The most important thing is to transfer my contacts from WinMo to Android, of course with all details I have in contacts(addresses , pics, mails, phones..) I don't know how can I transfer them?

Secondly, I saw a lot of reports about bad position of soft buttons(search,home..) and I want to know is it that bad? Do you often press on those buttons while typing a message/anything else or you just need to get used to it?

Also I have heard that by default ROM is supporting only on one way landscape(right handed?) so I was wondering is it possible to "unlock" this and use messaging, youtube, int browser in bot landscape positions?

Finally, I want to know is it possible to change RSS link(so that it points to let's say softpedia's RSS news) in weather & news homescreen widget, or if that is not possible is there any good RSS reader in which I can view any RSS news from whatever site I want?

Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

as far as your contacts are concerned, are you synching with Outlook? either way, you'll have to create a .csv file of all of your contacts, which will disassociate media like images and ringtones but still retain all of the other data.

once you have a .csv file, you can import your contacts to your gmail account. once you get the phone, set it up with that gmail account and you'll automatically get your contacts.

"The most important thing is to transfer my contacts from WinMo to Android, of course with all details I have in contacts(addresses , pics, mails, phones..) I don't know how can I transfer them?"
    Follow these directions How to Export Your Outlook Contacts to a CSV File - About Email
    Then follow these directions Importing CSV files - Gmail Help

"Secondly, I saw a lot of reports about bad position of soft buttons(search,home..) and I want to know is it that bad? Do you often press on those buttons while typing a message/anything else or you just need to get used to it?"
    I personally don't but I'm sure there are people out there that have this problem. I'm sure that once you use the phone a little you'll get used to it. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it.

"Also I have heard that by default ROM is supporting only on one way landscape(right handed?) so I was wondering is it possible to "unlock" this and use messaging, youtube, int browser in bot landscape positions?"
    The ROM does only support single direction on the landscape mode. Since I have not rooted my phone I cannot answer if there is a ROM that can fix it. I'm sure the answer is somewhere on the XDA forums. Those guys are king at figure that stuff out. I do know that it can be done only because my last Android phone supported landscape mode in both directions with a Motorola Stock ROM.

"Finally, I want to know is it possible to change RSS link(so that it points to let's say softpedia's RSS news) in weather & news homescreen widget, or if that is not possible is there any good RSS reader in which I can view any RSS news from whatever site I want?"
    The Main weather/news widget actually uses Google News and you can do a customized search for keywords. Probably not the answer you were looking for. However this is where the Android Market comes in handy. There are multiple different RSS readers/widgets available most are very customizable. I don't have a name of a good one but I'm sure you can find it yourself.
    PDA's to Windows Mobile to Android... G1 to Cliq to Nexus One

About Outlook I dont use it since I have Microsoft MyPhone service, but I tried using Outlook 2010.

And only problems I have st-up gmail acc in outlook and now when I connect my diamond and open WMDC and when I press set-up my sync it says that there is no default email client or that current mail client cannot fulfill messaging request!!

About Google news is there than at least Sci/Tech section(On Android)?

If anybody finds how to "fix" landscape please let me know!

Bump..

..and is it possible to turn off unlocking screen on every wake up?
    Also does downloading any files from Internet browser works(let's say I want to download some rar file to my storage card)?

I have set-up hotmail acc in outlook, once I connect my Diamond via activesync and press in Windows Mobile Device Center sync here is error I get

Ben,

another way to do it without sync with gmail, is to export all contacts from winmo as vcard, copy those to NX1 SD and import from NX1 contacts applications.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st-NX1 View Post
    Ben,

another way to do it without sync with gmail, is to export all contacts from winmo as vcard, copy those to NX1 SD and import from NX1 contacts applications.
    How to do that?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links