Pro's of rooting my N1

This is a discussion on Pro's of rooting my N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; As of now, I don't consider the positives of rooting to outweigh the negatives quite yet. While it would be great to use different ROMs, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro's of rooting my N1

As of now, I don't consider the positives of rooting to outweigh the negatives quite yet.

While it would be great to use different ROMs, and multitouch, the browser I'm using works better than the stock browser for me. I have no need for a custom rom, and since there isn't one YET, there aren't much options for that.

There is no way to re-lock the device. Meaning it permanently kills your warranty, and any hope you have if you happen to find a hardware problem or need to get a replacement. Thats the major deal breaker for me. While most peoples 14-30 day refund policies are up, all of the Nexus have a one year warranty, and I'd rather not void that while the device is so new. Like if all of us start having issues with the hardware in a month or whenever, all the rooted users will be SOL.

Maybe once they are able to re-lock the phone to factory..... Until then, I'll hold off.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMonster View Post
    I have no need for a custom rom, and since there isn't one YET
    Sorry, must stress this, because Paul @ MoDaCo been working really hard on his Nexus One custom ROM's since it was released, I think the current version is 1.3, so third version already!

Details here: Google Nexus One - NexusOne.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo

Quote Originally Posted by TBird1 View Post
    Do you have to root the N1 in order to install apps sourced from places 'other than' the Android Market ?
    No I did not root mine and installed an App which I downloaded from megaupload.

I'd want to root mine for the tethering, That came in so much handy when last year i went to California and some of the hotels made you pay for wifi smacked my phone in wifi tether and i had internet access

I am not going to even root this phone till later I want them to discover how to unroot it as well.

Same here..
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

My nexus one isn't yet rooted but will be very very soon. My G1 has been rooted most of its adult life.

I'm not a developer but I like having root because:

1) Tethering
    2) I can block ads in browser and other apps.
    3) Multitouch
    4) Developers and rom cookers are way ahead of Google in developing and implementing new features and tweaks. For example an XDA dev named Wysie cooked up a bunch of great features for Contacts which made it so much more functional and optimizable.
    5) Devs, like Cyanogen, are consistently trying to fully optimize their builds. So dev roms are usually much faster than standard.

So its not just about geeking out, but really, for me anyway, getting the most out of your hardware.

for tethering cant you just use PdaNet free edition from the market?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links