Anyone with unlocked version or knows about it please help.

This is a discussion on Anyone with unlocked version or knows about it please help. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; If I buy the unlocked Nexus One can I only use it on T-Mobile or AT&T? And this is proabably a horrible question but do ...

Thread: Anyone with unlocked version or knows about it please help.

Question Anyone with unlocked version or knows about it please help.

If I buy the unlocked Nexus One can I only use it on T-Mobile or AT&T? And this is proabably a horrible question but do I have to pay a monthly fee if I buy it unlocked? If so how much? I would wait to buy it for Verizon but I can't pay the 30 dollars every month... I'd appreciate the help. Thank you.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thanks for the answer. Okay so If I buy the 500 + dollar N1 than I won't have to pay 30 bucks a month but if I buy it with T-Mobile than unlock it I'll still have to pay monthly fee for required data plan?

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Your unwillingness to pay for $30/mo data means the full-price version (unsubsidised) is your only option. Many do not like Google's TMO contract (many of us have cheaper, grandfathered plans), so we buy the full-price version for this reason. If the monthly fees of Google's TMO plan (~$80,IIRC) is too expensive for you, DO NOT buy the subsidised unit...the ETF fees are rather steep, imho.
    Thank you so much. I'll proabably just wait for the Nexus One to come to Verizon and hopefully it will be unsubsided so I don't have to pay 30 dollars a month. Thanks again for the help.

Wait but I wouldn't get 3G buying the "unlocked" version even when it comes to Verizon right? The only way to get on the internet would be WiFi?

If you pay full price for the N1 ($529US in my case) you can use it with whatever carrier you want. Unfortunately, it only works on TMobile and AT&T. You still have to pay a monthly fee to the carrier to use it. Simply go into the carrier's store and sign up for whatever plan you want and they will give you a SIM card and that's it.

As for me, I don't use the phone very often so I signed up for a prepaid plan. First, I signed up with AT&T for their simple 25 cents a minute plan. I understood that their 3G network doesn't work with this phone, but that's okay with me, I can live with 2G. However, after using it for less than half a day, my first $25 prepaid time ran out. Turns out many of the applications on the phone use data and AT&T charged me one cent per KB data usage. That didn't go very far. I couldn't find a way to stop the phone from using data, so I switched carriers.

I signed up with TMobile because they don't offer data capability with the prepaid plan I was interested in. Well, I wasn't too happy with that arrangement either because there are times when I would like to be able to use data.

After doing a little more research, I found that I could go back to my AT&T plan because there is a way you can keep the phone from using data when you don't want to, yet use it when you do. Just go to the APN (Access Point Name) setting and change the APN Name to fakeapn. Voila! The phone won't (can't) use data. When you do want to used data, Go back to the same setting and touch the Default button and the APN resets itself and you can use data again. No need to go to the web or call customer service. Suits my needs perfectly.

Yes, with AT&T you can prepay for data usage. $5 for 1MB or $20 for 100MB (one month). This rolls over so you can buy 100MB data, then add 1MB per month to keep it active. But watch out because if you use up your prepaid data and don't notice, they will continue to let you use data and charge you 1 cent per KB, which will drain your account really fast.

Tom M.

P.S. Using the phone's GPS with Google maps uses quite a bit of data, so I went with ALK CoPilot. That puts the maps on your phone, so you get full GPS without using any data. I love it! (No, I don't work for ALK)

Admin
    I put an I.C.E (Costa Rican telephone company) SIM card in my N1 and it worked right off the bat like a champ. No worries.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links