Google Voice Voicemail vs T-Mobile Visual Voicemail

This is a discussion on Google Voice Voicemail vs T-Mobile Visual Voicemail within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I have been trying to decide which voicemail to use for my main number, and need some help here... Keep going back and forth, as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice Voicemail vs T-Mobile Visual Voicemail

Google Voice Voicemail vs T-Mobile Visual Voicemail

I have been trying to decide which voicemail to use for my main number, and need some help here... Keep going back and forth, as both have their pros/cons. I'm hoping that maybe somebody will help me decide here... So far:

GV is better because you can make it send email, SMS, it transcribes voicemails. But, you need data connection to get notifications, and you can't just hit 1 to dial it (at least, doesn't work for me).

TMV is better because you don't need data connection for the actual voicemails, just the visual part. But, it doesn't work over WiFi, and doesn't transcribe to text.

So... has anybody noticed any battery life issues with using Google Voice, and/or noticed anything besides I listed?

Thanks!

Polbit

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by polbit View Post
    ... and you can't just hit 1 to dial it (at least, doesn't work for me).
    You can go into your voicemail settings and choose to use Google Voice as your voicemail.
    -Phunds
    :nexusx: Nexus One owner since: January 11th, 2010
    :nexusx: Rooted! Android 2.2 FROYO CM6.1 RC

phundsblog.blogspot.com | twitter.com/phunds | facebook.com/phunds

Yes, GV can be used as your default setting, making it accessible by pressing either '1' or the voice mail key. One thing about GV, the transcription totally sucks, at least it has for me and the voice mails that I have received thus far. Being a former iPhone owner, I can attest to visual voice mail, especially the features of T-Mobile's VVM, it's sweet! So far all that I'm impressed by GV is that you can get notifications of the vm's you get and you can save them, fwd them, email them, all kinds of stuff them. T-Mobile's VVM has the ability of saving the vm's on the SD card, and you can then do whatever you want with them then.

I haven't noticed any drastic battery decreases, other than the live wallpapers, those suck you dry! I think it's gonna have to be a personal choice pal. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by saetam View Post
    One thing about GV, the transcription totally sucks, at least it has for me and the voice mails that I have received thus far. B
    GV is still a work in progress, one that you can help drastically improve by following the following steps:

1. In your outgoing VM message, remind callers to speak slowly
    2. In the web version of GV on the bottom right is a selection to allow you to inform Google if this translation was useful. If it was check yes, if it sucked check no. You can also donate this voicemail (both audio and written transcription) to Google for R&D to improve this process

Scan this with your Nexus One
    Barcode Scanner

if you completely turned off your phone and back on,, your phone will re-set itself to tmobile voice mail,,

even if you look into your settings where YOU set it to google voicemail,, it will still be set to google voicemail but if you call yourself it will be tmobile..

the (temp) fix is to go inot your settings and set it back to tmobile voice mail,, (let the settings take affect) then set it back to google voice mail..

the permanent fix,,, once its set to your google voice voicemail,, NEVER power the phone off...
    JDEPRODUCTIONS.COM - AN ONGOING COLLECTION OF EVERYTHING THAT PREVENTS ME FROM BEING A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY

Quote Originally Posted by chazman1117 View Post
    One thing about GV, the transcription totally sucks, at least it has for me and the voice mails that I have received thus far. B
    GV is still a work in progress, one that you can help drastically improve by following the following steps:

1. In your outgoing VM message, remind callers to speak slowly
    2. In the web version of GV on the bottom right is a selection to allow you to inform Google if this translation was useful. If it was check yes, if it sucked check no. You can also donate this voicemail (both audio and written transcription) to Google for R&D to improve this process
    Yes I am fully aware that GV is a work in progress, hence my statement about them sucking thus far. I do appreciate your comments on how to improve the quality. Also aware of the fact that callers need to speak slower and more clearly, I didn't know about the fact of being able to donate the vm's to Google. I have many foreign callers that speak excellent English, I guess those are the ones that need to be donated because those are simply hilarious to read and follow along with.

Thanx again for the info!

I love google VM even if the transcription isnt accurate, but google voice frustrates me. It works when it wants to work.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfever View Post
    I love google VM even if the transcription isnt accurate, but google voice frustrates me. It works when it wants to work.
    Details? What do you mean works when it wants to work?

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfever View Post
    Details? What do you mean?
    Well im sure you know the transcriptions arent accurate..You can kind of tell what the person is saying if they speak correct english. If they mumble or dont speak good English "no transcription"

I use strictly Google voice number. 30% of the time i get a message saying google voice cannot connect "or something like that" when trying to make a call. Then i have to press retry and it goes through. Also text messages from my Google number stop working every blue moon. I have to soft reset the phone. I am sure its all issues with the app, but frustrating.

Aaahhh, I see... Yes, that does sound frustrating. Why don't you stop using the Google#? I want to get one, but there isn't any cool combination of numbers to spell anything good that I want. I have a phone number that already spells something and I will not give that up for a Google number unless I can trade it for something else... If that makes any sense, good for you! Ha ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links