A question regarding 3G in COuntry OUtside of USA

This is a discussion on A question regarding 3G in COuntry OUtside of USA within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I live in Australia and i just got my nexus one. I always get full reception where i live but just next to the reception ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question regarding 3G in COuntry OUtside of USA

A question regarding 3G in COuntry OUtside of USA

I live in Australia and i just got my nexus one. I always get full reception where i live but just next to the reception bar there isnt a display which says 3G or EDGE like i see in the US reviews and pics I have been reading. Anyone else confirm this problem (or maybe its normal outside of US?) or have a solution?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by chaud84 View Post
    I live in Australia and i just got my nexus one. I always get full reception where i live but just next to the reception bar there isnt a display which says 3G or EDGE like i see in the US reviews and pics I have been reading. Anyone else confirm this problem (or maybe its normal outside of US?) or have a solution?
    hi, I live in the UK and I have the 3G icon next to the signal strength icon. This 3G icon switches to an 'E' when it cannot find a 3G signal and has to switch to Edge.

Are you sure you have 3G enabled on the phone? Go into your settings and check your phone settings. Other than that I cannot comment on the 3G coverage in Australia and whether the N1 can connect to it.

Sorry for sounding stupid but how to I check whether 3G is turn on or not? Thanks

Sorry for sounding stupid but how to I check whether 3G is turn on or not? Thanks
    good question (quickly grabs phone). Ok, there doesn't seem to be any 3G settings (per se) on the phone. But it may have something to do with your APN (Access Point Names). This is the data that tells your phone what network to connect to (internet and MMS).

Maybe worth checking that you have an APN set up, goto:

Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names.

You should have something set up there for your phone (mine was set automatically when I first set the phone up). I don't know what network you are on but, using my phone as the example, I'm on Vodafone UK, so under access point names I have a vodafone UK tab. You should have something similar for your network. If you haven't you will have to create a new APN. You can do this by hitting the second to left soft touch button on the bottom of the N1. You will need to find out your APN details though. You may have to google these or post your network here and someone may be able to provide them for you.

Heya thx for the reply. My APN settings are blank. I am with 3 in Australia. I will see if I can google it or would be much appreciated if anyone could help. On a side note just so you know I can make calls and send mms with my current settings. Thanks again!

Heya thx for the reply. My APN settings are blank. I am with 3 in Australia. I will see if I can google it or would be much appreciated if anyone could help. On a side note just so you know I can make calls and send mms with my current settings. Thanks again!
    hi mate, try these:

APN: 3services (this is what you'll name it)
    MMSC: http://mmsc.three.net.au:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: 10.176.57.25
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 505
    MNC: 06
    APN Type: <not set>
    Everything else left as <Not set>

Heya thx so much for that. after i inputted them in for a split second I saw the 3g icon then it disspeared. Well i guess its somthing to do with aussie 3 network setting. but thx so much for ur help buddy... really appreciate it!!!

Heya thx so much for that. after i inputted them in for a split second I saw the 3g icon then it disspeared. Well i guess its somthing to do with aussie 3 network setting. but thx so much for ur help buddy... really appreciate it!!!
    no problems mate. enjoy your phone. and enjoy the sunshine in aussie land. it's bloody miserable over here in the UK.

EDIT: here's the website that I got your settings from (for future reference) http://www.modmygphone.com/wiki/inde...r_APN_Settings

I wonder if US owners had all the APN's pre-set into thier Nexus One's as I haven't heard many issues regarding 3G for them. It seems Google didn't provide anything to either retrieve your required settings or have them pre-installed and selectable for most of us.

I too made this mistake, took me a few days to realise I wasn't getting 3G since I was playing with the phone so much at home using my Wifi! With other phones I've owned in the past, some recognised my carrier from my sim and auto-loaded my APN's, some I just needed to click 'Get Settings' or similar and the APN's were sent to me.

i live in singapore where the 3g coverage is excellent.. but usually i only get 3/4 reception bar...

but surfing and watching videowise,its very very fast..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links