How does Google Voice know??

This is a discussion on How does Google Voice know?? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I just don't see it. I'm using Google Voice for my voicemail on my Nexus One. Earlier today, my ...

Thread: How does Google Voice know??

How does Google Voice know??

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I just don't see it.

I'm using Google Voice for my voicemail on my Nexus One. Earlier today, my wife called me from our home phone. Our home number is private (restricted) so it doesn't show up in caller id. so, when my phone rang, it appeared as unknown and I let it go to voicemail.

Of course, Google Voice sent me a transcription of the voicemail in SMS and email. What I find interesting is that the email states: "Voicemail from" and it gives my wife's name. I understand it got her name from my contacts but how did it get the phone number she called from so it could compare it to the numbers in my contact list??

Is there some other way it does this of which I am not aware?

Rick

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

google knows all,,, SHHHH they are listing now!
    JDEPRODUCTIONS.COM - AN ONGOING COLLECTION OF EVERYTHING THAT PREVENTS ME FROM BEING A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY

while this might scare you, it is really pretty cool. I lost my check yesterday and I asked the phone where it was, alas it could not tell me, yet........I had to cancel it.
    :nexusx:Proud new owner of Nexus One as of 1/11/10
    Unlocked Rooted
    Amon-RA recovery v1.7.0(Cyanogen Mod Version)
    Cyanogen Mod LATEST! (Beta or Stable)
    Baked In MoDaCo's Kitchen!
    NexTHEME
    Helix Launcher2
    16GB Class 6 MicroSD

Twitter @Gr8gorilla

The reason is...

I discovered this a while back while Google Voice was still Grand Central and had an email conversation with them about it.

Turns out that Unknown numbers are still shared via the phone companies that connect the calls... and it's their responsibility to block the number from the recipient. Google figures that if that number is in your address book then you already know it so they can pass that information to you!

It's a features I've always loved and touted to my friends

Yeah, the call number is always sent along in the packets. They're needed to make the connection.

Think of it like how a domain name hides a websites true IP - but the ip is still needed.
    Rooted Nexus One

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links