How do you close or switch app?

This is a discussion on How do you close or switch app? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've found that a task killer is essential when you don't want data roaming getting excessive. When I'm in another country having Facebook, Gmail, etc ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you close or switch app?

I've found that a task killer is essential when you don't want data roaming getting excessive. When I'm in another country having Facebook, Gmail, etc constantly connecting in the background gets expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    I've found that a task killer is essential when you don't want data roaming getting excessive. When I'm in another country having Facebook, Gmail, etc constantly connecting in the background gets expensive.

Try APNdroid. It was made just for that.

I think Google should make a task switcher like the new iPhone OS has.

Quote Originally Posted by svenner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post

Try APNdroid. It was made just for that.
    I have it. Don't want to totally block connections, just turn off a few of the apps without changing their settings.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    You mean like Symbian OS cause that's where iPhone stole the style of it from.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    Personally, I would recommend avoiding it unless you are fully aware of every app that should be ignored by the task killer. That would also mean you are fully aware of every app's dependencies. What may happen if you don't set it correctly is that your task killer may kill a process that needs to remain alive for everything to work properly. I've heard many people complain, "My alarm was set and didn't go off" and many variations on that theme. Turns out it was usually a rogue task killer to blame.

Honestly, they are for the most part unnecessary in this linux-based OS. The Android kernel handles the process and app management just fine. However, if you want to be in full control, go for it...just be aware of the potential consequences.

Heh...another Kansan, eh? I think we're a rare breed around these parts!
    Besides freeing up memory(which improves performance for me, regardless of how android is supposed to handle mem/apps) there are other very valid reasons for needing a task killer.

I'll just give one example:

I have dogcatcher running to download podcasts>Get done listening to podcast>Listen to music>try to control the music with my headset's controls> headset controls dogcather instead of music app...fire up task killer to kill dogcatcher>problem solved.

It's a useful utility, if you dont' want to use it, you don't have to...but for those times when you need it, you need it.

When I first started using my phone, I was told if I used "home" button when exiting a program it left the program running. However, if I used the "back" button instead, that quit the program.

For any program I've used that didn't have a dedicated exit option, I've followed those instructions and have not had any issues with my phone by programs not playing nicely with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    When I first started using my phone, I was told if I used "home" button when exiting a program it left the program running. However, if I used the "back" button instead, that quit the program.

For any program I've used that didn't have a dedicated exit option, I've followed those instructions and have not had any issues with my phone by programs not playing nicely with each other.

Hmm. Open the music player, play a song, and hit the back button. I think you'll notice it doesn't kill the app.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    You mean like Symbian OS cause that's where iPhone stole the style of it from.
    Yeah, like Symbian OS.

The Symbian task switcher rocks! Google should adopt it from them.

I used to beleive the operating system was good at handling the apps and allocating memory, which it is I guess, but when I installed 'advanced task killer' (regular 'task killer' does some dodgy stuff) I noticed my computer speed sharply increase, and I do not agree with the talk about the OS doing everything smoothly. Yeah it does do it smooth but not to optimum levels and sometimes ATK is good at giving you those optimum levels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links