How do you close or switch app?

This is a discussion on How do you close or switch app? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I think that it's all fine and good if people feel the need ATK...I'm not opposed to the use of it in when it's needed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you close or switch app?

I think that it's all fine and good if people feel the need ATK...I'm not opposed to the use of it in when it's needed for a specific task, particularly to kill rogue apps that are, imho, mis-coded and don't provide a way to close them. Admittedly, I used ATK myself for a while when I first got the N1 with mixed results. However, I found that after I removed it my phone began running smoother after a few days without it.

I never said it's entirely unnecessary for everybody. Some folks may not be able to work without it, but that's probably due to some code, or lack thereof, in the apps we use. I think it should be looked at on a case-by-case basis; in many cases you'll find that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Maybe other management solutions could be explored before jumping on the "kill it" bandwagon. Honestly, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum even before our N1's even came out:
    FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
    PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    I could go on and on with these "reasons why task killers are unnecessary" links, but I think you'll get the point from these two...

If you need something to control your data, maybe try an app that monitors your data usage:
    NetCounter v0.13.1 Application for Android | Tools
    3G Watchdog v0.20.0 Application for Android | Tools
    NetSentry v1.1.2 Application for Android | Tools
    While ATK may kill your data-sucking apps for the moment, I'm pretty sure they'll just start back up if you don't toggle off Background data and Auto-sync in you're Account&sync settings. At least this way you can monitor the background data usage.

As far as the Doggcatcher issue goes, that sounds like a bug in the app to me...I'd report it to the dev here:
    Forums | Home of DoggCatcher the Android Podcatcher
    In your case, I see a perfectly good reason for employing ATK...however, I still say this is something the dev should fix, especially since you're in $7 for this app. They should at least provide some sort of graceful exit strategy when you're finished listening to your podcast.

Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone here who uses and swears by ATK or any other task killer. I just think it should be known, especially for people new to the Android OS, that task killers are not necessarily the best/only answer for managing apps and battery/data usage. They may be in fact causing more harm than good depending on how you use them. If it works for you and you're happy with the results, then more power to you...Kill em' all! Aight...that's all I got on this subject; I'm out. Good luck all...

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    I think that it's all fine and good if people feel the need ATK...I'm not opposed to the use of it in when it's needed for a specific task, particularly to kill rogue apps that are, imho, mis-coded and don't provide a way to close them. Admittedly, I used ATK myself for a while when I first got the N1 with mixed results. However, I found that after I removed it my phone began running smoother after a few days without it.

I never said it's entirely unnecessary for everybody. Some folks may not be able to work without it, but that's probably due to some code, or lack thereof, in the apps we use. I think it should be looked at on a case-by-case basis; in many cases you'll find that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Maybe other management solutions could be explored before jumping on the "kill it" bandwagon. Honestly, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum even before our N1's even came out:
    FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
    PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    I could go on and on with these "reasons why task killers are unnecessary" links, but I think you'll get the point from these two...

If you need something to control your data, maybe try an app that monitors your data usage:
    NetCounter v0.13.1 Application for Android | Tools
    3G Watchdog v0.20.0 Application for Android | Tools
    NetSentry v1.1.2 Application for Android | Tools
    While ATK may kill your data-sucking apps for the moment, I'm pretty sure they'll just start back up if you don't toggle off Background data and Auto-sync in you're Account&sync settings. At least this way you can monitor the background data usage.

As far as the Doggcatcher issue goes, that sounds like a bug in the app to me...I'd report it to the dev here:
    Forums | Home of DoggCatcher the Android Podcatcher
    In your case, I see a perfectly good reason for employing ATK...however, I still say this is something the dev should fix, especially since you're in $7 for this app. They should at least provide some sort of graceful exit strategy when you're finished listening to your podcast.

Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone here who uses and swears by ATK or any other task killer. I just think it should be known, especially for people new to the Android OS, that task killers are not necessarily the best/only answer for managing apps and battery/data usage. They may be in fact causing more harm than good depending on how you use them. If it works for you and you're happy with the results, then more power to you...Kill em' all! Aight...that's all I got on this subject; I'm out. Good luck all...
    MOSTLY agree with all of the above, but a TasKiller is indispensible for toubleshooting, esp. sluggishness/memory issues. Also, I would NOT beta-test without it...I beta apps that hang/crash/FC all the time, and a kill is the only way to recover sans a full reboot. I know most folks aren't beta testers though!

If you hold the home button on any android phone, you are able to switch apps up to the 6 latest ones that you used.

Quote Originally Posted by Deekayx05 View Post
    If you hold the home button on any android phone, you are able to switch apps up to the 6 latest ones that you used.
    They should've had replaced that with an actual task switcher.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links