How do you close or switch app?

This is a discussion on How do you close or switch app? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; When I click the home button it doesn't close the program. Some programs have an exit option in the menu but others don't. Also how ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you close or switch app?

How do you close or switch app?

When I click the home button it doesn't close the program. Some programs have an exit option in the menu but others don't. Also how do i switch running programs. I don't see any icons showing they are running

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You don't close programs as such, the O/S does after a period of inactivity.

To get up the task switcher, just hold the home button.

wmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Actually, that's not the "task switcher." It's a list of the six programs you most recently ran, whether they are still running or not. That mostly serves the same function, of course, but if you've started and exited a number of programs recently, a still-running program from earlier won't appear in the list, having been displaced by the recent activity.

Quote Originally Posted by wmm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Actually, that's not the "task switcher." It's a list of the six programs you most recently ran, whether they are still running or not. That mostly serves the same function, of course, but if you've started and exited a number of programs recently, a still-running program from earlier won't appear in the list, having been displaced by the recent activity.
    Exactly. I bump this thread. I want to know!

The OS is designed to allow the running programs to "hibernate" when they are in the background. There is really no need to close them. If the OS needs more internal memory, it will selectively close apps for you. I do not recommend using a task killer either; these can sometimes cause more harm than good.

If you feel you must absolutely close a running app, you can do it through Settings>Applications>Manage applications. Select the one you want to stop, and hit the force stop button.

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    The OS is designed to allow the running programs to "hibernate" when they are in the background. There is really no need to close them. If the OS needs more internal memory, it will selectively close apps for you. I do not recommend using a task killer either; these can sometimes cause more harm than good.

If you feel you must absolutely close a running app, you can do it through Settings>Applications>Manage applications. Select the one you want to stop, and hit the force stop button.
    So you recommend that I get rid of my advanced task killer? I know there is a whole thread about app killers pinned, but I got real bored after the first few posts. lol. It really wasn't telling me why, and I'm a questioning sort of fellow.

btw. I'm originally from Lawrence...Go Royals! Go Jayhawks!

Personally, I would recommend avoiding it unless you are fully aware of every app that should be ignored by the task killer. That would also mean you are fully aware of every app's dependencies. What may happen if you don't set it correctly is that your task killer may kill a process that needs to remain alive for everything to work properly. I've heard many people complain, "My alarm was set and didn't go off" and many variations on that theme. Turns out it was usually a rogue task killer to blame.

Honestly, they are for the most part unnecessary in this linux-based OS. The Android kernel handles the process and app management just fine. However, if you want to be in full control, go for it...just be aware of the potential consequences.

Heh...another Kansan, eh? I think we're a rare breed around these parts!

I have found that I'm setting more and more apps to not be "killed" when I run the Task Killer. Basically everything stock that isn't a piddly app, like the calculator and voice search (which I never use), remains open. I set most of my market apps to be shut down. I only run Task Killer a couple times a a day when things seem to be bogging down and it seems to clear up some memory....or is that imagined?

When I first got my N1, I also installed Task Killer and used it regularly thinking all these running processes were killing my battery...oh, maybe for the first week or so. Then, a little less and less progressively until I discovered from reading some threads that it may take a couple full discharges and recharges to "condition" the battery. Low and behold, a week or two later, my battery life was greatly improved. I uninstalled Task Killer since I really didn't need it anymore, and never looked back.

Yes, it may help to some degree if you have a LOT of apps running consecutively, but probably not as much as you'd think. Just be conservative with it and you should be fine. If you start getting regular FC's or certain processes aren't working like they should, I'd look at what your task killer is doing first...

You know I thought I'd conditioned my battery, but I really don't feel like it's worked. I'm down to 9% battery right now and really haven't used my phone that much. I've thought about buying another one and starting over because this battery isn't getting it done for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links