WARNING: Taskiller & Alarms!

This is a discussion on WARNING: Taskiller & Alarms! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by thatoneguy247 So does having multiple apps constantly running drain the battery? I always use task killer, but that's because I always assume ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARNING: Taskiller & Alarms!

Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy247 View Post
    So does having multiple apps constantly running drain the battery? I always use task killer, but that's because I always assume it helps.
    it shouldn't, unless you run a ton of services
    Follow me at @Burlyskink
    Want a Lockerz invite? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Im surprised some of you dont notice the obvious slow down when multiple apps overwhelm the resources on the device. There is absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that the OS does NOT know when the performance of the UI has degraded as there are always more apps running in the background than there should be.

Taskiller is essential to helping you take control of UI experience. If you don't use it, over time your apps will load slowly and traversing through your phone will slow to a crawl.

How can you not notice this?

I love my phone and I love android, but don't ignore the obvious guys, come on!
    This is not true, I for one do not notice it because it does not happen. Android will kill apps itself when it needs the resources. An app does not consume more resources if it is not in the foreground, unless it is a service. Therefore, the only way you should really be able to notice this is if you have a crap ton of services running. Taskiller is not essential I don't use it and my phone is just as fast as it was when I got it.
    maybe I got a faulty n1, but i seriously doubt it, if you cant notice a difference between the system when there are no bg apps running and when there are loads of apps in the bg running, then are fooling yourself because its far too obvious to ignore

Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Im surprised some of you dont notice the obvious slow down when multiple apps overwhelm the resources on the device. There is absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that the OS does NOT know when the performance of the UI has degraded as there are always more apps running in the background than there should be.

Taskiller is essential to helping you take control of UI experience. If you don't use it, over time your apps will load slowly and traversing through your phone will slow to a crawl.

How can you not notice this?

I love my phone and I love android, but don't ignore the obvious guys, come on!
    This is not true, I for one do not notice it because it does not happen. Android will kill apps itself when it needs the resources. An app does not consume more resources if it is not in the foreground, unless it is a service. Therefore, the only way you should really be able to notice this is if you have a crap ton of services running. Taskiller is not essential I don't use it and my phone is just as fast as it was when I got it.
    maybe I got a faulty n1, but i seriously doubt it, if you cant notice a difference between the system when there are no bg apps running and when there are loads of apps in the bg running, then are fooling yourself because its far too obvious to ignore
    Well it is possible, that you are running many services at once. Most of the apps I use do not use services
    Follow me at @Burlyskink
    Want a Lockerz invite? PM me

I think it depends how you use your phone to whether or not you'll require taskiller; there is no right or wrong answer.

I personally found that killing all apps helps conserve battery power. I also use it when my phone feels laggy and it always improves things.

Thank you for the tip regarding adding the clock widget to the ignore list, I can't believe I didn't think of that!

this just happened to me recently, however before i used tu run taskiller and purposly close the clock calendar google voice and all those programs and i never had problems with my alarm. i recently got a new sd card which is about the only change i can think of and this morning my alarm did not sound at the set time. I thought that if you close the clock app trough taskiller and the alarm has been set it would come on regardless and im pretty sure that was the case before? anyone care to explain?!
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

just put it on the exclude list.
    Rooted Nexus One
    Amon_RA-nexus-v2.0.0
    32.50.00.32U_5.12.00.08 Korean Radio
    Wildmonk's 2.6.35.9_SVS-950mV_CFS_AXI_720p_1152MHz_120210
    MIUI ROM 0.11.26
    SWG V1.2 Theme

Follow Me On Twitter

well yea but im just ocd and i like closing alll the apps and it used to work even with the clock app closed!!! im just curious wtf happend
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

I have 2 alarms set M-F. One at 6:30 and the other at 7:00. This morning the first alarm went off but not the second. I woke up at 7:55 and was like WTF. I checked the settings and everything was normal. So I didn't shave this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I have 2 alarms set M-F. One at 6:30 and the other at 7:00. This morning the first alarm went off but not the second. I woke up at 7:55 and was like WTF. I checked the settings and everything was normal. So I didn't shave this morning.
    :rofl3: Good story.

As many times as this comes up, I will still support the use of a Task killer.

I CONSTANTLY have background running apps. Many of them once opened will stay open, updating mail and whatnot. I know that updating and downloading new content drains the battery and uses system memory.

So why WOULDN'T i use a task killer to close the stuff I'm not using? I'm not going to wait for the device to "decide" it needs more memory to close apps. Is it NEEDED??? No... But it is something I currently and will continue to do.

I'm using Advanced Task Manager which is a paid app, but the control over apps is much better than TasKiller. All apps that I keep permanently running are excluded. Everything else like music/games/etc, i can shut down at once using the KILL ALL widget.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links