Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile

This is a discussion on Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie I got my N1 on January 8 and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile the same day. I went for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie View Post
    I got my N1 on January 8 and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile the same day. I went for the no-contract $60 plan (500+Unlimited+Unlimited). I am in L.A. and Orange counties all the time and so far cell coverage has been better than AT&T. Also, I have 3G just about everywhere I've been including in the mountains north of Santa Barbara last Saturday. My wife has an iPhone 3G on AT&T and has less coverage than me. So, go figure...
    I totally agree with you. Was with Iphone 3G on ATT and also in LA/OC and I have much better reception than my boyfriend who uses Iphone 3G. Also much faster 3G speed.

I have been with T-Mobile for 6 years, and traveled all over the country. I'm also in the wireless field. T-Mobile is the best carrier for customer service, by far, which is the only real reason I've stayed with them as long as I have. When I heard they weren't getting the Hero, and then the Droid came out, I was starting to consider moving, but now with the N1(it seems to me like they had that card up their sleeves for a while)...I think I'll be happy for a while.

As far as voice coverage, like I said, I've been all over, and have only had problems in really rural areas, which is to be expected anywhere. There have been a few markets with spotty coverage, but they are few and far between.

As for data--7.2Mbps blows all over carriers out of the water. At&t is just catching up to them, and CDMA's days are numbered. 3G coverage for Tmo is pretty good in most major cities, and they are really starting to ramp up their network. 4G(Clear/WiMax) performance at this point doesn't even compare with speeds I've heard of with T-mo, and with 21Mbps coming next year it's a no brainer at this point.

Like Maris said, expect to be treated very well if you ever need to call a CSR for T-mo.

Also, since T-mobile has fewer subs than the other big 3, expect less bottlenecks and network congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by number 9 View Post
    As for data--7.2Mbps blows all over carriers out of the water. At&t is just catching up to them, and CDMA's days are numbered. 3G coverage for Tmo is pretty good in most major cities, and they are really starting to ramp up their network. 4G(Clear/WiMax) performance at this point doesn't even compare with speeds I've heard of with T-mo, and with 21Mbps coming next year it's a no brainer at this point.
    Have you experienced 7.2 Mbps with T-Mobile? If so, where?

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I was very tempted to just order the unlocked version, and there seem to be some strong testimonials about T-mobile's service--especially their customer service.

I just spoke with a rep at Verizon who said that once the N1 was out for Verizon, I could use my 100 "New every two" against the cost. ... I'm wondering if this could be applied if the phone is purchased through Google? Anyway, that may be enough to get me to wait for a bit and see. Assuming the price with the 2-contract is comparable (179.95), then I could in principle get the phone for 80 bucks. That seems like it would be enough to tip my scales of justice.

Anyway, let's hope it works out that way. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice. I'll give Verizon a little bit more time.

Nick

I don't have a 3G phone(I will today!). That being said, the max throughput is always theoretical, kind of like broadband speeds at home...kind of, but I have heard reports of people in NYC getting a faster connection than other carriers, and I have a good friend in Seattle who reported 5Mbps.

Hmm...3G speeds across the nation, sounds like a good topic for a new thread.

Have you guys found that 3g speed really makes all that much of a difference in your user experience? I'm also intrigued by T-mob's plan to upgrade to a 21mbps system, which to me seems a very promising idea--near 4g speeds with the same phones and without the battery draw of a 4g radio.

Dammit, now i'm teetering again. I WANT THIS PHONE SO BAD. Lol.. its kind of fun, actually. I don't think i've wanted anything like this since I was a kid.

Any testimonials from the Long Island and Washington, DC areas?

I didn't mind being on Edge for web and stuff, but yesterday was trying to stream video....and now I've caught the 3G bug.
    Rooted Nexus One

I'm in chicago so i can
    I was same boat as you. i was very skeptical about switching to t-mobile but i finally got tired of not so good coverage of at&t and jumped.

Only thing i can say is i'm extremely happy with t-mobile. I get solid 4~5 bars with 3G everywhere i go.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilion View Post
    Have you guys found that 3g speed really makes all that much of a difference in your user experience?
    Huge difference.Just got my phone today, and it's like that first day I got broadband from a dial up modem years ago...totally different experience.

Also, with regards to T-Mobile, I called them about an hour before my phone got here to switch from BB data plan to Android data plan. They said it could take from 2-72 hours to become active, but in typical T-Mobile fashion....it was activated and 3G ready as soon as I popped in my SIM!

No problems with 3G here in the Richmond, VA area. Overall, I'm really happy with this phone and T-mobile

I only wish 7.2 Mbps. On T-Mobile max i get on 3g is around 900 kps..I am in Dallas and with Sprint 4g the max i seen from testing is 2-3 Mbps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links