Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile

This is a discussion on Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello everyone, I would appreciate some of your experienced advice. I've been wanting to get a smartphone for a long time, and I finally found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile

Really want N1, tempted to buy now but uncertain about T-mobile

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some of your experienced advice.

I've been wanting to get a smartphone for a long time, and I finally found the one I want: the Nexus One. I'm so tempted to just buy it now on T-mobile, as I'm growing impatient and don't want to wait for Verizon who is apparently still too busy selling their piece of crap Droid.

My hold-up is this: I'm a long-time Verizon customer and am happy with their service. I never get dropped calls and my phone just always works. At the same time, I have casually heard mixed reviews of T-mobile.

Could you please offer some advice and/or reasons why I should choose one company of the other? Some people really seem to like T-mobile as a company--why is that? I live on Long Island in New York, and regularly visit friends and family in Washington, DC and Southern California. Any experience with 3g coverage in these areas?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Nick

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

whats there to be uncertain about?

if you go with the unlocked phone, it offers the best possible plans

no contract, unlimited everything for 79.99, you just cant beat that.

dont worry about the data either, because if youre in a big city.. youll get this:

T-Mobile Project Dark: A Hyperfast 21Mbps 3G Rollout? (Update: It's Much More) - T-mobile project dark - Gizmodo

hmm. well, the unlimited pricing plan is nice, though I doubt i would get the unlocked version. Too much money upfront, and i'll have to have a cell phone and i'd only get edge with the other competitor with whom i could use the phone, so mind as well get a contract, right?

You guys think that 21mbps network will make that much of a difference? Is the verizon 3g network really as good as they say it is? I've been looking at Verizon's coverage map and pretty much the whole country (US) is red. Is it really that good?

Are there any other reasons why I should choose T-mobile?

T-mobile has the greatest plan for someone who isn't willing to stay confines to a contract. 79.99 for unlimited EVERYTHING!! I use it. Although I right now have an unlocked BB bold I never have dropped calls, internet is pretty fast for it being only EDGE. So I can just imagine what 3G offers. I will be snatching this bad boy up in 2 weeks. I love the N1.

I loved it when I had Verizon, and if you can afford it I'd say stick with them. I left because while the service and data was great, you really pay a lot more for it.

I strongly urge you to calculate buying unsubsidized vs. subsidized. It's always cheaper to drop the money first. Then you pay less each month and for most people pay end up saving money after 10 to 14 months - long before the 24 month contract. So over the span of the 10 to 14 months that you save the $20 ($80 plan vs. $60) you make between $200 and $280 over buying subsidized. (obviously a rough example) Not to mention you will pay more for any Verizon smartphone plan.

It sounds like you're pretty happy with Verizon and if you can afford their plans when the N1 comes to CDMA I would wait. I also say this considering it sounds like this is your first smartphone. If you had one now and had the itch bad enough like many here, I could see better justification for switching.

I vote for waiting.
    Rooted Nexus One

I've had my fair share of dropped calls with T-Mobile since i added the 3G service, but as far as T-Mobile, their pricing is low and their customer service is unbelievably good. I have never had a complaint about T-Mobile's customer service, I call them they help me as much as they can and mostly always favor the customer. Sometimes their friendliness is a bit to scary...

I got my N1 on January 8 and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile the same day. I went for the no-contract $60 plan (500+Unlimited+Unlimited). I am in L.A. and Orange counties all the time and so far cell coverage has been better than AT&T. Also, I have 3G just about everywhere I've been including in the mountains north of Santa Barbara last Saturday. My wife has an iPhone 3G on AT&T and has less coverage than me. So, go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    I loved it when I had Verizon, and if you can afford it I'd say stick with them. I left because while the service and data was great, you really pay a lot more for it.

I strongly urge you to calculate buying unsubsidized vs. subsidized. It's always cheaper to drop the money first. Then you pay less each month and for most people pay end up saving money after 10 to 14 months - long before the 24 month contract. So over the span of the 10 to 14 months that you save the $20 ($80 plan vs. $60) you make between $200 and $280 over buying subsidized. (obviously a rough example) Not to mention you will pay more for any Verizon smartphone plan.

I vote for waiting.
    That's a good point about saving money with the no-contract price. I calculated that, including the price of the unlocked phone, would save approx. 130 bucks over 24 months.

Does anyone think that the Verizon phone may have both GSM and CDMA capability and available in an unlocked version? And if so, would you say it would also be more expensive?

IMO, its a pretty slim chance it'll be a world phone with both cdma and gsm...if they did release one like that it would have to be more expensive.
    Rooted Nexus One

I have been with T-mobile for several years and have been very pleased with their service. I haven't had much cause to call customer service, but when I have, I was treated with respect and my questions were answered completely.

When they added 3G coverage to my area, it just appeared on my phone (prior to N1) and just worked. I have never lost calls or had weak signals in my area. When I have had to travel, I was able to continue my service with no roaming charges, even though it showed AT&T service, or whatever, instead of T-Mobile on my phone now and then.

When I got my N1, I just put my SIM into it and that was it. No problems, no change in my current loyalty plan, it just worked. I can understand if you prefer to stay with the provider you know, but if you are thinking of changing, I can recommend T-Mobile highly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links