Nexus One at Walmart?

This is a discussion on Nexus One at Walmart? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by paesan Does anyone really think that the N1 will be sold for $99.00 unlocked. C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL that would boost the hell out ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One at Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by paesan View Post
    Does anyone really think that the N1 will be sold for $99.00 unlocked. C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL that would boost the hell out of sales!!!!

If Google is paying ~ 173.00 for the BOM for the G1, what incentive would there be to sell the phone for ~ $73.00 less than what the BOM is. Selling the phone at $179.00 under contract just covers the BOM. This does not even take into consideration the cost of marketing, R&D, etc. I can understand the hype around this price but it does not make any business sense for google.

Twitter
    jaymcc820
    It makes sense to take a loss on the sale of the hardware, especially if Google can make up for it in branding, a cut of the monthly subscription cost, and brand recognition. Especially if it expands it line further down the road.

I understand your reasoning but to sell the phone for that much under cost is taking a huge gamble. I must say that Google has become very successful by taking such huge risks. Time will tell. I like many others that payed the unlocked price will be unhappy if they sell it at that price. It is the price one pays for early adoption if this holds true.

Twitter
    jaymcc820
    Quote Originally Posted by paesan View Post
    I understand your reasoning but to sell the phone for that much under cost is taking a huge gamble. I must say that Google has become very successful by taking such huge risks. Time will tell. I like many others that payed the unlocked price will be unhappy if they sell it at that price. It is the price one pays for early adoption if this holds true.
    As with any early adoption there's always a risk. Personally I'm glad I paid full price, I really dislike being tied to my carrier by my phone.

I called walmart's corporate office today only to be put on hold for 1.5 hours just to be told I would recieve a call back with an answer, 5 hours later i get a call saying that indeed it will be available in store in the next 3-4 months but they are still working on what the with contract cost will actually be. i'm assuming they are fighting with google and tmobile to try and get it lower than 179? The without contract cost will still be $529. Also the nice lady told me like the Iphone they will have working display models (yay, now we'll have something new to play with when we visit walmart lol).

Maybe they will sell it for $99 with 2 year contract.

Did anyone also see that it works on all of the carriers? Could be a misprint, but who knows.

An unlocked phone that would work on any carrier would be great, even if the price is still $529

I'm not thinking this is all that bad of a move (in theory at least) when you really think of it. The largest retailer in the world partnering with one of the largest .com companies in the world. While I think the $99 might be a bit of a reach, let's not forget that Wal-Mart debuted the Droid for $188, the lowest price at the time for that phone. If they sell the phone at a lower price than say $169 or so, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Now on the flip side, if Wal-Mart is the taking off point for the Nexus One and many more units are sold, I'd say Google needs to get their asses in gear quickly in terms of their quality of support.

Did anybody else notice the frequencies that are advertised here? According to that page, it supports AT&T's 3G networks.
    Send Me a Text!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry I had to post-and-run (had to leave for work). The first thing that I thought about when I saw the article, was that Google is working to get the N1 out to a wider market than the major cities that are covered by TMobile and AT&T (GSM)...so in preparation of launching with Verizon and other CDMA type carriers, who happen to have wide coverage especially in rural areas, they wanted to target a venue that happens to be in just about every small-to-medium town.

Since I've been holding off until the N1 is released to Verizon, I think it'll be great to at least be able to see/hold the phone in hand, and to see what sort of offers they'll have. If they can somehow get US Cellular in on the game, I might consider sticking with them and upgrading, otherwise I'll have to think about going with Verizon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links