Nexus review and iPhone comparison.

This is a discussion on Nexus review and iPhone comparison. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Designed by geeks, for geeks. *Disclaimer* I owned an iPhone for a year [and left it drunkenly in a taxi]. I love iPhones and I ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus review and iPhone comparison.

Nexus review and iPhone comparison.

Designed by geeks, for geeks.

*Disclaimer*

I owned an iPhone for a year [and left it drunkenly in a taxi]. I love iPhones and I love apples innovative approach. Long may it continue. I now own a Nexus. This review is as unbiased as is possible and will not pull punches on either team.

Philosophy.

Three years ago Apple started it. A phone with one button. A 'phone' that is really a PC - a tricorder, an i-everything. On Janurary 5th 2010 Google finished it. A phone that is always online, that needs to be online, that is nothing offline. A webphone.

For a young OS, Android 2.1 is ahead of it's time, philosophically. The iPhone is great online, you can surf, tweet, email, download apps, hell, it'll even push an email straight to you're phone. But Android is something more. It craves connection, it demands the net. The native contacts app uses it. The photo gallery uses it. The widgets want it, everything screams for it, even the keyboard is keen to get into the action. Hold the nexus in your hands and your five fingers become off ramps for the information superhighway. But, meh - It's just software, and apple will catch up.

And that’s the key point. Everyone can copy everyone else's OS, apps and hardware. The defining point of difference is in the philosophy and how that translates to performance and the user interface.

An Android in my hand.

Android is raw, no question about it. And by golly goodness I wouldn't have it any other way. It's buggy [My 'polar clock' live wallpaper has crashed EVERY time I try to start it, I get a 'launcher' crash every time I reboot] and it's quirky. The screen [oh my god the screen!!] can't decided what brightness to stay at; icon's names don't always display entirely, the keyboard layout is schizophrenic, it [reportedly] jumps from 2g to 3g randomly. But man alive is it powerful!

An Illustration:

Android doesn’t care. iPhone OS cares to the point of smother. We all love our mothers, but come on mum, I'm 30 years old - I can dress myself! Case in point; googling for a ringtone I found a webpage that offered a .wav download link. My iPhone instincts urged me disregard, but my inner android clicked my finger on the link and… WTF, this browser can actually download things? One cut and paste later and the file was in the ringtones folder… But wait a minute, that's how you do it on a PC! That’s not how phones work! That’s not cricket!

But it is. If Google had a cricket team they would own the ashes [obscure cricket reference, apology].

That one action, to me, summed it up. The iPhone is a phone [the best phone] with computing abilities. Nexus [Android] is a computer. I think it has a phone app too.

UI

The Android UI basically sucks if your coming from an iPhone. Extremely unsurprisingly, iPhone OS has approximately a gazillion times more polish.

Android's menus don’t bounce at the top [a small quibble but amazing how much of a difference it makes to scrolling]. Moving icons from 'homescreen' to 'homescreen' is a chore - they just don't want to go nicely. With an iphone, if you move an icon over another, the other one moves out of the way. On Android, if your screen is full and you want to reshuffle, first move icon one to a different page, then put the second icon in its place, then move icon one to it's new location. Phew [wipes brow].

The [firm] menu button on the Nexus is erratic at best - who knows what surprises await you upon a push? iPhone has no menu button, it's all in the app. A very good example of the app based philosophy of Apple and the holistic approach of [Microsoft] Google.

The soft menu button on-screen brings up a [cooly animated] scroll of all your apps. But it just doesn't scroll well. It just doesn't respond proper. Plus it doesn't remember where you're at so each time you go back to it you gotta scroll through your 50+ apps again - your finger gets in the way of the icon names, there seems to be no consistency in scroll speed.

Now, some [many] Nexus owners will take issue with these comments, and fair enough. Your mileage may differ. A lot of people have problems with the firm buttons on the Nexus - I don't. Each person is different. But what I think should be admitted is that the iPhone UI is just better. And fair enough. UI is Apples thing, and in my view, all it has going for it.

Hardware.

The Nexus hardware [compared to the iPhone] is a combination of remarkable and ****.

Remarkable: The camera is really good, I guess. The call clarity is a fait accompli. The screen is O for awesome. Better than that even.

****: The lock/unlock button at the top stinks. Very insensitive [which you could argue is a good thing, for me its drives me batty]. The speaker, in call volume and media volume is weak. The volume slider is just not as good as iPhone's [plus it is a real pain in the arse to get the thing onto vibrate mode, hardwarely speaking]. The Trackball sucks for editing text, but will be awesome when Google lets it go multi-coloured for alerts [take that iPhone!].

Uber-shizer: The battery life [I refuse to turn functions off to conserve battery]. Nexus demands being played with at every available moment. Do so and be prepared to charge whenever possible. But hey, no biggy. Plug it in when you're at your desk. The iPhone battery may be equally shizer for all I know; I just never wanted to use my iPhone as much as I do the Nexus.

Native Applications.

The phone app is standard, no better no worse than the iPhone.

The native messaging app is standard - I use handcent and love it - better than any iPhone sms I used.

The photo gallery is cool if not standard… It is supposed to sync with picassa, and does - but mine just shows black squares where the photos should be - go figure.

The contacts app is better than iPhone's - just a touch more flexibility, but that touch more is all the iPhone is lacking.

I like the calendar app much more on the Nexus.

The music app for Android sucks arse big time - it does play music but make sure to get your Phd in being a genius before you try using it - very unintuitive [The other music apps I downloaded suck worse though].

Gmail is awesome - next best thing to a PC, and makes iPhones mail look like a 2e.

The clock application is majorly underpowered compared to Apples offering [which is the bee's knees right?].

The browser I like more. Everything is a bit better designed - bookmarks and history are nicer. It doesn't have multitouch [natively] which I don't use on the iPhone browser anyway, but the double tap to zoom on Android is erratic. Shame.

The caveat, of course, is that all this is just software and playing fields are bound to level out in time.

Market Apps.

For me, the Android market is nicer to use. It's integration is sweet, downloading and installing apps is incredible and I think the commercial viability of the market is right right up there with app store.

In terms of the app selection, a lot has been made about iPhone having 100K apps and Android having 10K apps. Android fan boys point out that Android market will catch up, and I think it will too. But, for me, it's really moot anyway.

For example, I searched for a calculator and 40 odd are available in Android Market. Who knows, iPhone might have 400. Point is; I only needed one.

Id say, generally, Android apps are not as nice looking as iPhone's. That’s a big generalisation though. I'll get the bash form the Android community for that slight. That’s my gut feeling though. And, as we say in Google land - it is gunna get better. The point is we have to say that because they need to get better. To my mind any developer with a brain will start writing for both platforms in order to expose themselves to a larger market, so we should see a lot of similarity in the future.

Conclusion.

Have I been harsh on the Nexus? Maybe. But I'm not a fanboy of either and I am trying to give my honest opinion [it's hard because the things you own wind up owning you].

But to sum, there is no way in God's green earth I'll ever go back to the iPhone. Android is so powerful! It's so Techy! And it's mine! I don't have to share it with Steve Jobs! He never paid half my phone bill, so to be honest I always resented him for keeping half my phone. Sure I jailbroke, a small act of rebellion against my beloved sugar daddy. But his honey was too sweet and I went back upon the alter of 3.0.

But no more! Never again! I'll ween myself off for good this time. 4.0 be damned! I cannot be swayed.

Buy an Android if you: Are a techy, have a mind of your own, are interested in cars and engines, enjoy sexual intercourse with women, want to own what you own, wish to free yourself from the predacious influence of your elders.

Buy the iPhone if you: Don't mind sharing, just want to make calls, are aged over 50, think different like everyone else.

Prediction.

The iPhone will continue to be a closed system and lose out to Android in the same way Mac lost out to Windows. While not being as obscure as a mac, iPhone will lose market share. In two to four years iPhones will be uncool amongst alpha males; the sole reserve of teens, oldies and fanboys, much like the mac today. Android usage will surpass iPhone OS, both platforms will be equally well supported, with Apple leading innovation.

Get on while the getting is good

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Agreed, me matey.

Quote Originally Posted by gregornz View Post
    Designed by geeks, for geeks.
    Buy the iPhone if you: Don't mind sharing, just want to make calls, are aged over 50, think different like everyone else.

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading.
    Just thought I'd say, I'm turning 54 today and I bought the Nexus a couple weeks ago. Just because someone is over 50 doesn't mean we don't know the right thing to do.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RickFriedman View Post

Just thought I'd say, I'm turning 54 today and I bought the Nexus a couple weeks ago. Just because someone is over 50 doesn't mean we don't know the right thing to do.

Rick
    Happy Birthday

Witty review. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

this review was great. i too am not a fanboy of either, but i must say, theres just something about iPhones that attract me more then android... i love everything about android, but the look and feel of the iPhone is way better than any android phone out there (including my nexus one. dont worry i covered its ears so it wouldnt get jealous) the apps too, are better on the iphone. but then again android is only getting started. either way, im glad to hear and see that the iphone finally met its match... i cant wait to see what the next iphone will be like...

*edit* i just grabbed my nexus one and got a good feel of it.... its better if not the same as the iphone... hehe!

Twitter
    jaymcc820
    Awesome review! As a former iPhone user, the only reason I bought it in the first place was because I was tired of carrying around a cell phone AND my iPod. And maybe occasionally check email. I'm not a Mac fan. I just like having a decent size music library with me at all times, and a means to get what information I need when I want it... and you're so right about the Nexus One. It's a PC with a phone app... and I've been proudly parading it in front of my iPhone wielding friends :D

I love the way you wrote this review. It was fun, and I believe it's a mostly honest look at the two devices. I love my Nexus One and the Android system, and can't see myself wanting an iPhone anytime soon (I don't like the one-app-at-a-time approach).

Thanks for making me laugh as I read this review. I hope others can read it and enjoy it (if it gets posted someplace else) without just flaming it because you aren't saying iPhone rocks!

Great Review!

i know i already commented, but i wanted to kinda of bump it to the top so that more people can read this lol. it was really fun to read. thanks OP

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links