BB to N1?

This is a discussion on BB to N1? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; hi guys, first time poster from australia. I am using a BB at the moment and am thinking of switching over to N1. just wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB to N1?

BB to N1?

hi guys,

first time poster from australia.

I am using a BB at the moment and am thinking of switching over to N1. just wanted to clarify somethings first.

1) seeing that its an always on connection - is there a special data plan that i need.

2) is there push email in this device? for gmail or hotmail?

3) is there a way to setup hotmail in this device?

4) how are the apps available on this device compared to iphone?

and finally........is this really an iphone killer?

thanks all

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1) Tmobile unlimited is certainly best option. unless you never intend to use 3g I suppose!
    2) Yes, Gmail is integrated into the phone the second you first turn it on. They ask for your gmail account(or help u create one), at this point it syncs your google calendar, google contacts, etc.. If you use google it is VERY easy. Google Voicemail is even a piece of cake to get going which is VERY easy.
    3)Pretty sure you can. Havent myself, but some "other email" app already installed. surely allows hotmail.
    4)Plenty of apps available. Iphone apps are probably a tad more polished in looks department, but functionally you will find tons of stuff. The big weakness is games. Android has some great ones, but they tend to be less fast action graphical types.

Is it the killer? No probably not. It is a FANTASTIC phone that offers many great great things, but its not evolutionary. I love every aspect of this phone, and do not regret the purchase in the least.

By the way, i do not forsee any evolutionary phones coming in a LONG LONG time. Ipad was a huge dissapointment and probably means the Iphone wont be getting much better soon. Nexus one should be a great phone for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by rhath127 View Post
    hi guys,

I am using a BB at the moment and am thinking of switching over to N1. just wanted to clarify somethings first.

1) seeing that its an always on connection - is there a special data plan that i need.

thanks all
    Just do it. Blackberry has the worst UI known to man. They are slow. A lot of them are buggy and have problems. Get some type of an android phone, it will be a major step up for you.

See below.

Quote Originally Posted by rhath127 View Post
    hi guys,

Long as you have some kind of a data plan, not really.

Gmail has push, and the stock gmail app that comes with it will work for push. I'm not aware of any push on hotmail.

There's a stock email app you can setup your hotmail account using POP3.

Theres a good amount of apps... Unless you want to compare the number of fart apps on Android to the Apple Apps store... then no.

No, the Nexus One and iPhone are pretty different philosophical approaches. I personally frown at the phrase just because it doesn't do this phone justice.

I came over from a BB and I couldn't be happier. I've had a short run with an iPhone and I couldn't stand it personally.

thanks all

thanks for the replies - well i did it.

I just bought an Nexus 1 and so far .......i am loving it!!!!

good UI, fast, ive setup my ebay account to a new gmail account (coz i run an ebay business i needed a BB). but so far the syncing has been great and ive been getting my emails.

I love the size of the screen.

Just 1 Q, is there a way to install apps onto the SD instead of the local memory?

and any apps you guys would recommend? so far ive gotten a twitter, horoscope app.

PKT Auctions? i will look into it.

There seems to an issue with my network connectivity though - When i try to check my email using my 3G Optus connection - it says No connection, Retry. However with wifi its fine.

Not sure why, can someone help me pls, i need this email push (gmail) to work

Are you not getting any data connection at all? Maybe you need to do a search for apn settings and set them up on your phone for your network operator.

hi i am getting connection however there seems to be some drop outs when checking email. It says no connection (retry). Seems to be fine the last 12 hrs...and am hoping it stays that way.

the battery life could be better though - i went from 100% to 90% in 1.5 hrs.

mah
    In my first week with the N1, battery life was not good at all, but now I get better than a full day use with it. The difference -- while I still love my N1, I don't have it actively in front of my face all day anymore

The display is a large draw of power on this device. You might want to lower the brightness level (I put mine on auto -- I'm surprised that wasn't the default), and if you put the phone in a case allowing it to just time out on its own, you might try to get in the habit of hitting the power button.

I come from a line of BlackBerry's too... my only complaint with the N1 is that it doesn't auto-sleep when I put it in my case.

are you with tmobile? if so call them and make sure you have the android web plan. sane price as others just a specific server for android phones. this might solve your connectivity problems.
    also there seems to be a bug in the default messaging app that causes the phone not to sleep, therefore draining the battery. you have to download a messaging ap from the market. like handcent or chomp sms. make one of those your default application and disable the factory messaging notifications. reboot your phone and you should be good to go. I know that your getting good life but you still might want to check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links