Keeping N1 Plugged in via USB bad for battery?

This is a discussion on Keeping N1 Plugged in via USB bad for battery? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I use my N1 alot during the day so the battery is usually wasted if I don't charge. I'm in and out my office. When ...

Thread: Keeping N1 Plugged in via USB bad for battery?

Keeping N1 Plugged in via USB bad for battery?

I use my N1 alot during the day so the battery is usually wasted if I don't charge. I'm in and out my office. When I'm at work at my desk, I keep it plugged into the USB so it will charge ( I also use it at my desk). That way, when I have to run out, I always have full battery just in case. Do you think this will hurt my battery?

I remember in the past the old legend that you are supposed to let your battery drain all the way before charging it in order to maximize battery life - I wasn't sure if this was still true or not?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by leegseegs View Post
    I use my N1 alot during the day so the battery is usually wasted if I don't charge. I'm in and out my office. When I'm at work at my desk, I keep it plugged into the USB so it will charge ( I also use it at my desk). That way, when I have to run out, I always have full battery just in case. Do you think this will hurt my battery?

I remember in the past the old legend that you are supposed to let your battery drain all the way before charging it in order to maximize battery life - I wasn't sure if this was still true or not?
    Li-Ion batteries don't run like the old Ni-Cd batteries. Ni-Cd batteries must be drained before a charge to prevent a memory from building up in the battery and only allowing it to drain to that point. Li-Ion batteries don't have that limitation. In fact, they don't like being drained the entire way between charges.

Now, there is a limitation on how many times they can be charged, 900 times is average. Every time you plug it in and then unplug it, that's a charge. So, I don't recommend plugging it in between calls. I've gotten into the habit of just plugging it in overnight, it usually gets down to between 20-40% threw out the day (but it's getting better the more I learn about how it uses the battery).

As for the difference between charging it from USB or from the wall, there is no harm to charge it from ether it will just charge faster from the wall.

I charge overnight every night. In the begining the battery level would be down to 1 bar or amber, but now I have a quarter charge left by the end of the day which is a significant improvement - all in just over 2 weeks of useage :-)

The charging regime is pretty much the same as my previous phone now, which was a Nokia N95.

TBird1

Li-ion batteries don't have memory, current Li-ion batteries can't be overcharged once their fully charged that's it, if plugged in the battery will devert power directly to the system they supply. Li-ion batteries weaken overtime due to an internal chemical reaction caused by the heat created by charging. Small charges overtime will lengthen the life of the battery versus long charges. Additionally, one should drain the battery from time to time to aid in calibrating the phones internal battery gauge with the battery's actual power level.

Quote Originally Posted by TBird1 View Post
    I charge overnight every night. In the begining the battery level would be down to 1 bar or amber, but now I have a quarter charge left by the end of the day which is a significant improvement - all in just over 2 weeks of useage :-)

The charging regime is pretty much the same as my previous phone now, which was a Nokia N95.

TBird1
    I've heard other people say the same thing, I even notice it, but don't you think that might just be because you're using it a little less now that it's not extremely new? How would this actually make sense from a technical perspective.

to the OP:
    I'm not sure about continuously plugging in these lithium batteries...People SAY that they don't degrade, but my laptop and other devices with a lithium battery do have problems from being continuously plugged in. My laptop battery was down to 40% capacity in a year.
    They may have no memory, but they sure learn to lose capacity by the time I've used them for a few months.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links