Gmail help please!

This is a discussion on Gmail help please! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by Maris Originally Posted by Bishop6 Interesting, I can get mine to work in web pages etc; but not if it's by email. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gmail help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    Interesting, I can get mine to work in web pages etc; but not if it's by email.
    How is the phone number displayed in the email, is it like xxx-xxx-xxxx?
    It might depend on who sends the email and how it is typed, but those I receive all appear xxx-xxx-xxxx. The number is not highlighted in blue as a normal link would be, but I can still tap on it (I use my finger) and it opens the phone app with the number displayed.

Just to be sure I understand you, I do this on my phone from the gmail app I downloaded from the market. I am not using the email app that came with the phone.
    Maybe that's the answer - the Gmail app installed with the phone does not allow you select a number to dial............

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I am also using the default Gmail app that came on the phone (also avail. in the market). NOT the email app. In GMail, I've been able to dial both 10 digit and 7 digit phone numbers contained in an email. When I touch the number, it briefly turns green (indicating it's launching the phone app, I guess) and the phone begins dialing out. Is this NOT working for you?
    No!!

Messages I receive from my call answering service are as one long number i.e. ########### as well as the UK standard of ##### ###### for mobiles etc or which may be part of an email signature.

I am unable to click either to dial out.

They are in the body of the message.

Thanks for checking.

My answering service do provide the full number including area code.

Also I would like too be able to call someone by clicking on their number (landline or mobile) from a plain text email which was just a question of clicking on the number with my previous Nokia phones...............

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    Thanks for checking.

Also I would like too be able to call someone by clicking on their number (landline or mobile) from a plain text email which was just a question of clicking on the number with my previous Nokia phones...............
    Is there any way you can have the service forward via SMS, it MAY work that way... it's worth a shot.

Thanks for checking.

One more suggestion... if you don't need someone to answer the phone and record a message than just start using Google Voice. It sends you a GMail message, a different e-mail or an SMS text that can do what you are wanting and for no cost.

Interesting, I can get mine to work in web pages etc; but not if it's by email.
    How is the phone number displayed in the email, is it like xxx-xxx-xxxx?
    It might depend on who sends the email and how it is typed, but those I receive all appear xxx-xxx-xxxx. The number is not highlighted in blue as a normal link would be, but I can still tap on it (I use my finger) and it opens the phone app with the number displayed.

Just to be sure I understand you, I do this on my phone from the gmail app I downloaded from the market. I am not using the email app that came with the phone.
    Maybe that's the answer - the Gmail app installed with the phone does not allow you select a number to dial............
    So it's the gmail app and not the email app that will work, for sending numbes within an email...
    I just want to be clear, because this info will be useful for other readers!!

So it's the gmail app and not the email app that will work, for sending numbes within an email...
    I just want to be clear, because this info will be useful for other readers!!
    Not on my phone!

I am using the pre installed Google Mail app that was set up by default when I entered my Google Apps credentials.

For the avoidance of doubt this does not allow me to select a number contained in an email which I can then dial, whether it is by clicking or the track ball.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Not on my phone!

I am using the pre installed Google Mail app that was set up by default when I entered my Google Apps credentials.

For the avoidance of doubt this does not allow me to select a number contained in an email which I can then dial, whether it is by clicking or the track ball.
    Whereas I have confirmed I can dial out by touching, on 10 digit (w/ area code) numbers contained within emails in GMail in the USA.

I would love to get to the bottom of this, I also use gmail; however outside of the USA.

I doubt though that would be the reason.

As I mentioned before, web page no problem; email does not work.

Phone number is highlighted in blue but no joy.

Not on my phone!

I also have the "pre installed Google Mail app that was set up by default" but I do NOT use that one. Instead, I downloaded the app from the market called GMail and THAT is the app I use instead where I mentioned I can just tap on the number in an email and it will automatically open the phone dialer. I hope this helps you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links