what's the purpose of the trackball

This is a discussion on what's the purpose of the trackball within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; We could've easily managed without the trackball, works for iPhone, but after i read what you guys use it for, it kinda comes in handy. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's the purpose of the trackball

We could've easily managed without the trackball, works for iPhone, but after i read what you guys use it for, it kinda comes in handy.

Also, works perfectly for playing Pokemon on my GBA emulator :D

Quote Originally Posted by NexusNuckie View Post
    Why do people put such questions on this forum? It's like asking "What is the Power button on the top do?"

Take it easy, bro! Folks who have never used a phone with a trackball have legit questions like that and especially since the phone isn't available without buying it (no retail stores carry it) there's no way to find out by testing it yourself at a local store. I think it's a perfectly valid question.

Let's make this forum a friendly place. We're all Nexus brothers and sisters.
    :nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

Trackball becomes pretty handy when i use my N1 landscape mode. It is so much easier to edit text to point exact point (faster and more precise than iPhone's little magnifier) and scroll up and down especially when i'm lying down on my bed haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
    Is the trackball useed at all when typing text messages? IE to move the cursor to a specific spot? That is what I really want it for and is why I am no longer as interesed in a droid (no trackball or d-pad)
    There seems to be a bug with its use in Buzz and maybe other places. When you are in a Compose box, the cursor is invisible. For example, if you enter text by speaking for example and there is an error you want to correct, there is no cursor to tell you where you are when you roll the trackball. The trackball does move the insertion point but you have no idea to where. This is very irritating.

I don't use the trackball, except for text editing, but I'm a true beleiver that all phones should have some sort of hardware movement device.
    Rooted Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by donfrench View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
    Is the trackball useed at all when typing text messages? IE to move the cursor to a specific spot? That is what I really want it for and is why I am no longer as interesed in a droid (no trackball or d-pad)
    There seems to be a bug with its use in Buzz and maybe other places. When you are in a Compose box, the cursor is invisible. For example, if you enter text by speaking for example and there is an error you want to correct, there is no cursor to tell you where you are when you roll the trackball. The trackball does move the insertion point but you have no idea to where. This is very irritating.
    This bug has apparently been fixed as of this morning.

I had been really frustrated with the camera app and the touchscreen "shutter press" button (particularly when trying to do self-photos). But, as I eventually discovered (duh!), the trackball also triggers the shutter, and I can find it and press by feel, rather than sight.

(On the other hand, my blackberry curve's trackball seemed to function more smoothly for screen navigation, when it was functioning).

Quote Originally Posted by tribz View Post
    Its for my upcoming game, Missile Command.
    Careful, showing your age there.

I was never a real fan of trackballs until I got my G1. I hate it as the only way to navigate but love it as an secondary method. I use it in combination with the touchscreen and find they work well together. I think the Nexus One has the best and smoothest trackball of any device (compare with, for example, the Blackberry 8900). Personally, I loved the d-pad that I used to have on my HTC Dash (especially for games and the press and hold way to scroll long pages) and always felt that phones should have a d-pad and a trackball in the center that would also act as an Enter button. That would be the ultimate.
    ________
    Love Stories Dicussion

The track ball is great for selecting text, a shutter button, and also for games!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links