upgrading current N1 to be compatible with At&T 3G

This is a discussion on upgrading current N1 to be compatible with At&T 3G within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Since it's already confirmed that they are coming out with a AT&T 3G capable N1 soon, I have a question for you GSM experts out ...

Thread: upgrading current N1 to be compatible with At&T 3G

upgrading current N1 to be compatible with At&T 3G

Since it's already confirmed that they are coming out with a AT&T 3G capable N1 soon, I have a question for you GSM experts out there...

Do you think it's potentially possible we could send our phones in for a simple hardware upgarde to capable of connecting to AT&T 3G???

As an early adopter of this phone and a supporter of Google and what they are trying to do with the Wireless market, I am assuming they would not punish me with having to buy another 530 dollar phone.

I don't make as much money as a lot of you guys do, that phone is damn near what I make for two weeks after taxes. I know I can sell my current N1 to help subsidize the cost but that just seems like punishment for supporting their product... If that is the case I'll probably wait and see what coming offerings from Dell and HTC will bring and support someone else.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

As an early adopter of this phone and a supporter of Google and what they are trying to do with the Wireless market, I am assuming they would not punish me with having to buy another 530 dollar phone.
    Are you serious? Of course they will punish you into buying a new phone. That said, why would you want to go over to ATT?

Quote Originally Posted by Zivman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Are you serious? Of course they will punish you into buying a new phone. That said, why would you want to go over to ATT?
    I'm already on AT&T. My contract is up in a week or two. But I don't want to go over to T-Mobile. I do live in a larger area with good coverage but am in rural areas quite a bit that have no T-Mobile coverage whatsoever.

AT&T isn't great, but I'm not a huge fan of Verizon. I like their network but I don't like how they treat their customers. And I just flat out don't want to pay that much for service. That's why I spent so much money on an unlocked phone, I have more control over what plan I am on this way. Once more people smarten up and start buying unlocked phones or looking at the great deals in prepaid like StraightTalk the major providers are going to have to start paying attention. It will be better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Unknown. FCC submission seems to indicate different hardware, so I assume a phone swap is the only recourse...buyers went in knowing ATT was not 3G, I doubt there will be a painless path to upgrade..resell is likely the only option.

edit: oh, and what he said..ATT 3G is atrocious here in the bay area.
    It's atrociously bad here in the Seattle area as well. But it would be nice to have the option of 3G.

When your contracts up come over to TMobile pay 179.00 for a new Nexus and sell it on ebay/craigs list and pocket the profit! lol

mah
    Quote Originally Posted by dg36 View Post
    When your contracts up come over to TMobile pay 179.00 for a new Nexus and sell it on ebay/craigs list and pocket the profit! lol
    Sure, you'll lose $50 or so each month for the next two years of your contract, but you'll make it up in volume?

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dg36 View Post
    Sure, you'll lose $50 or so each month for the next two years of your contract, but you'll make it up in volume?
    How is he going to lose anything? If he stays with T-mobile he will pretty much get the original Nexus one for $100 after he sells the one he bought with contract on e-bay. Then he's going to save money on plans since T-mobile's plans are way cheaper than AT&T's.

So, switching to T-Mobile is not as bad as you think. And the service is pretty good, I had T-mobile since 2001 and in the past 2 years I haven't had a single dropped call. 3G can be spotty at times but they're constantly improving that.

mah
    I'm not suggesting not switching to T-Mobile; I've been with them (happily) for 13 years.

If you but a $179 phone, you're also buying a new account with a new contract to be fulfilled (or steep early-out payments to be made).

The guy already has a T-Mobile subsidized (or $530+tax) phone (as he's asking about sending his phone in for hardware upgrade). Do you not see how he would lose money by purchasing a new subsidy? If you don't, you must be seeing some detail that I'm missing.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links