UPDATE IS OUT! enables multi-touch

This is a discussion on UPDATE IS OUT! enables multi-touch within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by eyc Originally Posted by eyc New update has been great, but I noticed something odd in the new web browsing experience. When ...

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE IS OUT! enables multi-touch

Quote Originally Posted by eyc View Post
    New update has been great, but I noticed something odd in the new web browsing experience. When I use pinch-to-zoom on a website, the text will not redraw/reformat such that it will now fit the new dimensions.

For example, if I go to reddit.com, and use the REGULAR magnifying glass icon and zoom in quite a bit, the text will redraw so that it fits the width of the screen. I don't have to scroll left or right to read any text.

However, if I use pinch-to-zoom, the text does not redraw, and I am forced to scroll left and right to read the text. If I first pinch-to-zoom then tap the magnifying glass, everything redraws and things are good. But, why does it take that extra step?

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksilva View Post
    yes i have also noticed that. i multi touch in and then zoom out with the magnifying glass and it fits to my screen.

weird
    If this is how pinch-to-zoom was meant to operate in the web browser, then frankly, I don't think it is all that useful of a function (unless you are browsing image-only sites). I'm surprised no one else has raised the issue.
    I think this is how it's meant to work - and I like it that way. Pinch to zoom lets you quickly zoom to any degree while double tap and the +/- buttons do incremental zoom with a re-layout. The pinch to zoom is extremely useful for blowing up small links so that you can more easily and accurately click on them - like when I want go go to page "3" in a forum for example - I can quickly blow up the "3" link and position it right in the center. Doing that with the +/- buttons takes 4 or 5 taps plus repeated scrolling/panning of the page to get an easily clickable link in front of me. Double tap is useless for the above task.

So now that I have pinch to zoom I have everything I need for quick and intuitive web browsing. In forums I double tap to blow up the text to my liking (you can set the default zoom level in the browser settings) and when I want to do a "fine" click, say to go to the next page, I have pinch to zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EpiphanyX View Post

If this is how pinch-to-zoom was meant to operate in the web browser, then frankly, I don't think it is all that useful of a function (unless you are browsing image-only sites). I'm surprised no one else has raised the issue.
    I think this is how it's meant to work - and I like it that way. Pinch to zoom lets you quickly zoom to any degree while double tap and the +/- buttons do incremental zoom with a re-layout. The pinch to zoom is extremely useful for blowing up small links so that you can more easily and accurately click on them - like when I want go go to page "3" in a forum for example - I can quickly blow up the "3" link and position it right in the center. Doing that with the +/- buttons takes 4 or 5 taps plus repeated scrolling/panning of the page to get an easily clickable link in front of me. Double tap is useless for the above task.

So now that I have pinch to zoom I have everything I need for quick and intuitive web browsing. In forums I double tap to blow up the text to my liking (you can set the default zoom level in the browser settings) and when I want to do a "fine" click, say to go to the next page, I have pinch to zoom.
    I agree it is a good use for pinch-zoom, but the trackball was designed to do that as well. Those of us that came from trackball phones simply got used to them to do the detailed nav/click, while iPhone users (no trackball) got used to pinch-zoom to do the same thing...neither is wrong or right, just different approaches to a problem. Google's focus is one handed operation (even down to one digit) for as many operations as possible, so that drove their approach to utilize a trackball. Not coming from the iPhone, I find doing pinch-zooming tedious in comparison, and you likely find the trackball tedious. There are a lot of interesting reasons why Google may have enabled pinch-zoom presently, but I think Jobs saying "'Don't Be Evil' is BS" was the final straw. Regardless, I'll enjoy pinch-zoom in pics and maps.
    They are both useful tools the phone now provides. It has it's uses, but no it's not quite what many were looking for. I don't see why a double tap is so horrible and pinch to zoom is so much better.... I really don't get the obsession. Don't get me wrong, pinch to zoom is cool. But the double tap in the web browser worked very well.

eyc

Great point. Upon reconsideration -- and now that I know that you can pinch-to-zoom, then double tap to redraw -- I agree with your assessment. Your example of the text link is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    They are both useful tools the phone now provides. It has it's uses, but no it's not quite what many were looking for. I don't see why a double tap is so horrible and pinch to zoom is so much better.... I really don't get the obsession. Don't get me wrong, pinch to zoom is cool. But the double tap in the web browser worked very well.
    I still think pinch-to-zoom is a valuable function because it gives you the ability to fine-tune the zoom. For example, when viewing pictures, the N1 had a strange zoom implemented. If you pressed the zoom-in button once, it zoomed in just a tiny bit, and then if you pressed it one more time, it blew up the picture huge, and most of mine would be pixelated and terrible. Now, with pinch-to-zoom, I can control the level of zoom to many incremental levels.

no update in so so cal and its Thurs
    so i did it my self and......... its working!!!
    sorry Google you took too long he he

Still nothing in Seattle ...

Great point. Upon reconsideration -- and now that I know that you can pinch-to-zoom, then double tap to redraw -- I agree with your assessment. Your example of the text link is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I still think pinch-to-zoom is a valuable function because it gives you the ability to fine-tune the zoom. For example, when viewing pictures, the N1 had a strange zoom implemented. If you pressed the zoom-in button once, it zoomed in just a tiny bit, and then if you pressed it one more time, it blew up the picture huge, and most of mine would be pixelated and terrible. Now, with pinch-to-zoom, I can control the level of zoom to many incremental levels.
    /Agree

It's a useful tool, and I'm definitely pleased with the addition. But because of the double tap function, the complaints that the pinch zoom does not work like it does on the IPhail .... you still have the same functions they are just implemented somewhat different.

I just received the update OTA! I'm in Toronto, using Wifi!

It says the update is out, but my battery is too low to install. I have the phone on the charger, but I still can't install. If I click "install later", does it stay in the notification bar for me to install later?

Hmm, can you wait a bit until the battery is more charged?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    Manual update is easy...

-phone is faster. (Example:No lag in scrolling through apps list)
    -MT is smooth and nice in maps/gallery. I use 3rd party browsers...
    -pink spot in camera seems to be fixed. I see some pink initially when I look at a white wall, but it quickly fades.
    -its faster!
    -i don't have 3G, as I'm on art so no comments there.
    -the new Google labs items are pretty cool to play with.
    -i have not yet had the touchscreen issue
    -did I mention its faster?
    Also, both my wife and I find our batteries last much longer. Anyone else?
    Rooted Nexus One

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links