How do OTA updates work?

This is a discussion on How do OTA updates work? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I imagine like many of you, I am really looking forward to the upcoming update if you haven't got it already! In any case, I ...

Thread: How do OTA updates work?

How do OTA updates work?

I imagine like many of you, I am really looking forward to the upcoming update if you haven't got it already! In any case, I was wondering just how the Over The Air updates work. Does anybody know?

How does Google know what phones to send a message to telling them they have an update, I don't really understand the process!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    a post on the official nexus forum said that the phone checks with a google server directly. By the time that most people would have got the notification they will prob have already installed manually - I only managed to hold out a couple of hours

Anyone know how to force a check for updates? When I go into Settings->About phone->System Updates it tells me I'm up to date, but it isn't doing any check right then as there's no network / 3g traffic indication. I'm disappointed that there's no "check for updates" button on this screen. Does it check on a timer? Or on restart? Or...

Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by odhinn View Post
    Anyone know how to force a check for updates? When I go into Settings->About phone->System Updates it tells me I'm up to date, but it isn't doing any check right then as there's no network / 3g traffic indication. I'm disappointed that there's no "check for updates" button on this screen. Does it check on a timer? Or on restart? Or...

Anyone know?
    No, but you can force an update by downloading and installing with this method (PC not required):

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...html#post14865

Quote Originally Posted by odhinn View Post

Anyone know?
    There is a check for updates button, settings/about phone/system updates
    however when this is selected it just reports that the systems is up to date very quickly (too quickly i.e. without enough time to check a server etc), so I'm not convinced this "feature" works.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy82 View Post
    I imagine like many of you, I am really looking forward to the upcoming update if you haven't got it already! In any case, I was wondering just how the Over The Air updates work. Does anybody know?

How does Google know what phones to send a message to telling them they have an update, I don't really understand the process!
    Everyone who is like this needs to quit posting on the forums about how bad they want the new update and go do the manual update.

Quit being a bunch of pansies, do the manual update. I only read the other forum post up to where someone showed the manual update instructions. I downloaded the file, I followed the instructions, it worked like a charm.

Quit stressing out, be a REAL nerd. Do the update yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Everyone who is like this needs to quit posting on the forums about how bad they want the new update and go do the manual update.

Quit being a bunch of pansies, do the manual update. I only read the other forum post up to where someone showed the manual update instructions. I downloaded the file, I followed the instructions, it worked like a charm.

I agree with you! I'm the original author of this page, after wondering how OTA all works, etc, etc, I got fed up, done my research and worked out how to install the update without using a PC. I've even posted full instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy82 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

I agree with you! I'm the original author of this page, after wondering how OTA all works, etc, etc, I got fed up, done my research and worked out how to install the update without using a PC. I've even posted full instructions:

I didn't even use instructions that were written this well, the ones I followed were off andoirdforums and were a little more confusing. Great job Iggy. If you guys can't figure out how to do it with those instructions I do not think you are even worthy of your N1!!!! :rofl3:

:nexusx:

Anyone can follow someone else's recipe. A real nerd wants to understand the process so they can make their own recipe.

Of course if I were a real nerd, I would have pulled the source code down and built my own "check for updates" button already.

I laugh at those who still are Waiting for this:rofl3: Installed Manually right when I saw it was available
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links