GPS without dataplan contract & other questions

This is a discussion on GPS without dataplan contract & other questions within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Does the Nexus One's GPS work without 3G access? I'd imagine all the maps are remotely accessed and not stored on the phone's hard-drive. Also: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS without dataplan contract & other questions

GPS without dataplan contract & other questions

Does the Nexus One's GPS work without 3G access? I'd imagine all the maps are remotely accessed and not stored on the phone's hard-drive.

Also: I want it on the Verizon network.

I also am getting grabby and want one now.

I heard I shouldn't buy one uncontracted now as the CDMA version for Verizon isn't part of the wireless radio in the phone and it'd be a brick. True?

Thanks!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by SeeRad View Post
    Does the Nexus One's GPS work without 3G access? I'd imagine all the maps are remotely accessed and not stored on the phone's hard-drive. yes you need internet access they do not download maps, but they are working on it. there are paid gps apps that do download maps

I also am getting grabby and want one now.

I heard I shouldn't buy one uncontracted now as the CDMA version for Verizon isn't part of the wireless radio in the phone and it'd be a brick. True? yes true

Thanks!

>yes you need internet access they do not download maps, but they are working on it. there are paid gps apps that do download maps

How does Nexus One's GPS receive its signal? Does it work off of cell-tower triangulation, off of satellite triangulation, or hops when one signal isn't available?

>yes true

Crap. I guess I'll work on the virtue of patience.

>yes you need internet access they do not download maps, but they are working on it. there are paid gps apps that do download maps

How does Nexus One's GPS receive its signal? Does it work off of cell-tower triangulation, off of satellite triangulation, or hops when one signal isn't available?

>yes true

it uses both gps for location(satellite) and cell for data to load up maps

Thank you for your insightful comments and quick reply.

[quote=johnny cizzle;15266]
    Does the Nexus One's GPS work without 3G access? I'd imagine all the maps are remotely accessed and not stored on the phone's hard-drive. yes you need internet access they do not download maps, but they are working on it. there are paid gps apps that do download maps

Out of curiousity, what exactly do you mean by they're working on it? Has Google anounced that the maps and navigation app will soon work offline? If so that would be great! and I'll put my garmin on craigslist. Though it's nice to have when family is visiting from out of town....

[quote=anthny680;15327]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny cizzle View Post

Out of curiousity, what exactly do you mean by they're working on it? Has Google anounced that the maps and navigation app will soon work offline? If so that would be great! and I'll put my garmin on craigslist. Though it's nice to have when family is visiting from out of town....
    thats whats in the mill

jah

>yes true

Does it get the GPS from satellites? So you could use GPS even in airplane mode?

Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post

>yes true

Does it get the GPS from satellites? So you could use GPS even in airplane mode?
    im not sure if you can. my first thought is no. there would be no map

Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post

>yes true

I am a student pilot, so I can answer this.

Aviation-geared handheld GPSes work great in smaller airplanes, but they need to be made to update quickly enough to keep up with the speed of the aircraft. They can also be used for car, pedestrian or bicycle mode, too. The downside is they're expensive as hell: In the Air.

I doubt you'd get an accurate reading with the native Nexus One's equipment but as soon as I get one, I'll let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links