Privacy Issues with Nexus One

This is a discussion on Privacy Issues with Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I was just talking in general, not specifically pointing at you. Although it may have sounded that way I wasn't passing a judgment or criticizing ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Privacy Issues with Nexus One

I was just talking in general, not specifically pointing at you. Although it may have sounded that way I wasn't passing a judgment or criticizing you. Again, I didn't mean to be personal or rude to YOU, so I apologize if my comment came off that way.

Funny that I was talking about the exact subject with someone the other day because his friend was all paranoid about being online and someone might be tracing what he is doing online and stuff. So, we told him "You wish you were that important!" and laughing. My comment was coming from that conversation and wasn't supposed to be taken as seriously as you took. I guess the smiley face at the end wasn't enough to indicate that.

Google provide all of useful services at no cost... well, no up front cost to you, just like facebook. They don't ask you for money, but they want some information from you. It could be about yourself or some others you associate with. If you feel that you give up too much for what you get, well you can stop the trading with them, but you will have to give them something one way or another if you want their "free" services.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrock View Post
    This is absurd. I should not be required to hand over personal "user" information to the manufacturer of a computer that I purchase. I am sure that no one would surrender all of this type of data to DELL just because they bought a laptop.

On your second comment - are you kidding me? Google would have no reason to 'fraudulently' use this data? Your comment shows the err of your thinking. Google is in the business of building databases of information and everything they collect generates money for them. They can and do use this information how they see fit, and there is nothing fraudulent about it because users volunteer it.

I'm sorry, i don't think you understand the sarcasm of my post.

But yes, the information YOU put out, is the information that IS out there.

The point of my post was that, with a phone of THIS type, certain information is needed to be put out there.

If you have a problem with having to use gmail, g-contacts, etc, you don't HAVE to. But sadly, you DO to use the phone.....

Meaning, that most likely this type of phone isn't for you.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    Google Buzz

Whether you wanted them to or not they imported your contacts into Buzz and allowed your friends to see/copy them, whose friends could then in turn see/copy them, and so on.
    How dastardly. Is that true? I actually have not updated my google maps specifically because I did not want google buzz and I heard it was integrated into the new google maps app. Is that correct?

I also turned off all syncing so I am under the impression that my contacts were not yet stolen. Am I wrong?
    When Buzz first came out, if you signed into it and didn't set up your account, contacts were exposed (not stolen), and Google was chastised almost immediately. They were quick to respond and implemented more obvious and intuitive ways to guard privacy or opt out completely. I think they were caught offguard by the angry response, because so many share personal information so freely.

As for updating google maps, the integration of Buzz is a separate layer you can select or not, so you should feel free to update that program. If you don't use buzz, that layer will not have anything to display for you, but you can read other buzzes. I leave it off because it clutters the map.

As you pointed out, you do have the option of using synch or not.

as i said. just turn off syncing. and why is everyone jumping on his back? leave the man to his concerns and you to yours
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Thanks Maris - that was quite helpful.

I would just like to add that there are checkboxes that state if you want to share your information with google. I forget where (perhaps someone can add on here). Obviously you would not select this.

Thanks Maris - that was quite helpful.
    Glad to help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links