Privacy Issues with Nexus One

This is a discussion on Privacy Issues with Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Here is my question: Is it possible to use the Nexus One and not share any personal data with Google? Specifically, I am referring to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Privacy Issues with Nexus One

Privacy Issues with Nexus One

Here is my question:

Is it possible to use the Nexus One and not share any personal data with Google? Specifically, I am referring to my contact list and calendar information.

Here is my point and concerns in greater depth:

I have never used GMail, and have no interest in using it. I now have a Nexus One and to my unhappy surprise I learn that I cannot download any software from the marketplace, or use the calendar, unless I set up a GMail account. Furthermore, from everything I have read, once I set up a Gmail account linked to my phone, Google will sync all my contacts and calendar information with web based Gmail.

Now, I have seen no option to disable this, and I can only conclude that this implies that Google will automatically, and against my will, upload all of my personal phone numbers and email addresses stored in my contact list onto their servers to use in whatever manner they like. Yes, according to their privacy policy ..but that is of no consolation to me. I do not recognize Google as the authority to control my privacy thank you, it is mine and I control it.

The bottom line is that I have a contract with TMobile, and not Google, and I should not be required to surrender a complete dossier of all my personal contacts to their servers just to use my phone. I do not want to share ANY information with google.

Is my assessment accurate? Is this in fact true? And if it is, is there a way that I can use my phone, and still maintain a contact list and calendar, and download apps from the marketplace without exposing my personal data to Google? These are all BASIC features of the phone and should NOT require the surrendering of basic privacy rights in order to use them.

Is there a way to store my phone numbers and contacts without using the default gmail-linked contacts application?

Thank you for any help you can offer on this important point!

J

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You can turn off synching

Hey - is that it? Will that really put to rest all my concerns? If that is true then I am sorry for my little rant, but I have not been able to find any documentation yet that states this.

I think you are missing out on a major features of the phone by not using google. Even by using google, you still have an expectation of privacy when using your email etc. I'm sure your privacy rights are set out in the user agreement for gmail, but I believe that if the government for example wants to look at your email content, they would still need a warrant to get it from google, the same as they would need a warrant to get it from your home computer.

It seems as though you are being over-paranoid. I would relax, and try gmail, the calender, google voice etc, unless of course you are a CSO or something with CIA, or involved in some kind of ongoing criminal activity...

Also your contacts, calendar etc are stored on your SDcard.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cloud computing...... In a few years if you want anything to be "private" you better write it down on a piece of paper and stick it in your pocket...
    I WANT IT ALL, And I want it delivered by cute, naked women.

Quote Originally Posted by sifugazz View Post
    It seems as though you are being over-paranoid. I would relax, and try gmail, the calender, google voice etc, unless of course you are a CSO or something with CIA, or involved in some kind of ongoing criminal activity...
    Actually, privacy is not something reserved only for covert agents and criminals. If you have any doubt how important privacy is, see if you can get google to share their records with you.

Quote Originally Posted by gmccauley View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of cloud computing...... In a few years if you want anything to be "private" you better write it down on a piece of paper and stick it in your pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by johnrock View Post

Actually, privacy is not something reserved only for covert agents and criminals. If you have any doubt how important privacy is, see if you can get google to share their records with you.
    You are correct, the right to privacy is a "fundamental" right for everyone and any law stepping on such right is subject to strict scrutiny review, but that right can also be stepped on if there is a legitimate, rational and compelling state interest...like if you are involved in Criminal activity (hence my example), then they can get a warrant, which permits them to invade your right of privacy and read your emails wherever they find them, be it on your home PC, or on googles server.

And if your a covert agent, you probably shouldn't be using google servers, since...hmmm China or someone might hack google and steal classified material/communications...

Relax and enjoy your Nexus!

I completely understand where you are coming from with your views. But honestly, it's not like they are looking at this stuff. If it were to ever come back to Google that they were using any of that information there would be dire consequences for them. Truly, GMail is a fantastic mail application and it's not going to be any less safe than what you are currently using.

Suggestion: Try adjusting the tinfoil hat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links