locked vs unlocked question

This is a discussion on locked vs unlocked question within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; This question may be obvious to the nexus pros out there, but I have not found any information that explicitly answers my question. Hopefully one ...

Thread: locked vs unlocked question

locked vs unlocked question

This question may be obvious to the nexus pros out there, but I have not found any information that explicitly answers my question. Hopefully one of you guys can provide some additional information.Here is my question/scenario.I currently have an ATT air card. It has a data plan (60GB/month I think). it also has a phone number. (ive never used the sim via phone though).If I were to buy a nexus one via T-Mobile, would I be able to use my ATT sim card? or does buying a locked phone only allow connectivity with T-Mobile until my 2yrs is over?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If it's a sim that can support a phone, it will be supported on the N1. There is no "locked" N1.
    Rooted Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    This question may be obvious to the nexus pros out there, but I have not found any information that explicitly answers my question. Hopefully one of you guys can provide some additional information.Here is my question/scenario.I currently have an ATT air card. It has a data plan (60GB/month I think). it also has a phone number. (ive never used the sim via phone though).If I were to buy a nexus one via T-Mobile, would I be able to use my ATT sim card? or does buying a locked phone only allow connectivity with T-Mobile until my 2yrs is over?
    All phones come unlocked, the only difference when you buy it with a T-Mobile sim card is the price drop. But all of them come unlocked you just pop out the T-Mobile sim card and pop in your ATT sim card and all should work well except for the 3G, that only works on T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    If it's a sim that can support a phone, it will be supported on the N1. There is no "unlocked" N1.
    correction there is no "locked" n1

Yeah...thanks for that. Corrected.
    Rooted Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    If I were to buy a nexus one via T-Mobile, would I be able to use my ATT sim card? or does buying a locked phone only allow connectivity with T-Mobile until my 2yrs is over?
    #1 - You buy the phone via Google, not T-Mobile. The phone supports T-Mobile 3G network, not the AT&T 3G network. Maybe there will be a future version of the Nexus that will support the AT&T 3G network.

#2 - MY Smartphone Phone SIM just worked when I took it out of my AT&T Tilt and plugged it into my Nexus One. The phone network, the text msg network, and the EDGE data network all functioned well. Of course, the 3G did not work.

#3 - I THINK there is a strangeness about the AT&T data plan for their air cards. You should probably talk to AT&T to make sure. You SHOULD be able to use a $30 unlimited data plan for the Nexus One.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links