battery life while using navigator :( WOW

This is a discussion on battery life while using navigator :( WOW within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Yea, I forgot about the display. I always look at my battery usage data and see the display always being at the top. While I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: battery life while using navigator :( WOW

Yea, I forgot about the display. I always look at my battery usage data and see the display always being at the top.

While I am in the car I ended using some old USB car adapter and plugged in a good long USB 2.0 cable to charge my phone. The coiled corded chargers don't work out for me. Now I am just missing the car dock.
    If were lucky Google could make a car dock similar to the curent dock and have Google Nav pop up and have a built in sterio transmitter.

wmm
    Yes, all that going on at once definitely runs the battery down. I had a 500 mA car charger (I think -- couldn't find a rating for it anywhere) and did an experiment: 40 minutes of driving with the display at max, running navigation and Pandora in the background. That took the battery down from 98% to 86%, even plugged into the car charger.

I have a 1000 mA charger from monoprice.com now, but I haven't had a chance to repeat the experiment to see if that can keep up with the power demands of that scenario.

With my previous phone (AT&T Fuze Windows Mobile), when I was running OTA navigation and plugged into the car charger (a 1000 mA one that I couldn't use for the Nexus One, for other reasons), it would get so hot that the internal heat sensors would stop the charging, and I'd end up with a dead battery as a result.

I used to have HTC Diamond. This phone used to heat up very easily when I use it in the car while using GPS. It locks up if I use it in sunny days for extended period of time (say more than 2 hours). I used to hand-hold it and cool it in front of the air vent.

Then I got myself a HTC Magic (with Hero Sense ROM installed). This phone doesn't heat up. Nearly identical in terms of hardware (lower resolution than Diamond), it barely gets hot even when GPS is used under direct sun light.

I am about to get Nexus One now. So does anyone here experience any lock-ups when you use GPS in the car? How about under strong sun light?

Quote Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
    I am about to get Nexus One now. So does anyone here experience any lock-ups when you use GPS in the car? How about under strong sun light?
    I recently went from my home (Mentor-on-the-Lake, OH) to Ft. Bragg, NC using the N1 and Navigation. It worked like a charm and I didn't get lost once. I didn't notice any overheating or lockups. I passed through 2 long tunnels on the way and, as expected, I lost the signal, but as soon as I emerged from the tunnel it locked right back on and continued without a blip.

On the way back I also had an audio book going in the background without any problems.

And, does anyone has some experience with using the Nexus for cycling, or skiing with some application like Sportypal or anything similar, how long does the battery last?

OK....just had my own overheating issue. I have a car dock and a desk dock. Neither has ever caused my N1 to overheat. Problem is, I'm on a replacement phone for only two days and haven't had the occasion to use the car dock or Google maps until now....on vacation in Florida driving a rental. There are too many variables to diagnose it now, but the damn thing just reboots after about a mile and it's literally too hot to hold. Also, the nav chip loses the link to the satellite and searches endlessly until I reboot the phone. If it does the same in my car dock when I get home, this one's going back too.

Quote Originally Posted by executor View Post
    And, does anyone has some experience with using the Nexus for cycling, or skiing with some application like Sportypal or anything similar, how long does the battery last?

I have used RunKeeper to track my runs, and hikes... it cuts through the battery pretty good, even with display off. The folks at run keeper estimate 5 hours from fully charged if you turn off 3G, and the display.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links