Nexus One usage on Canada's Networks

This is a discussion on Nexus One usage on Canada's Networks within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So this is what I've found on my own, wondering what others can add: The phone will work on Canadian networks using EDGE minus 3G ...

Thread: Nexus One usage on Canada's Networks

Nexus One usage on Canada's Networks

So this is what I've found on my own, wondering what others can add:

The phone will work on Canadian networks using EDGE minus 3G capability.

Apparently you can get full capability using Wind Mobile, which is a bit of a joke at this point, as they have zero coverage.

Here's my question though, has anyone been successful at using 3G on this phone on Bell or Fido? The reason I ask, is that Bell and Fido both use the 2100MHz band for 3G, which T-Mobile in the US uses too.

GSM Coverage Maps | Canada

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

re: Rogers in Canada

I'm interested in the responses you get. I received my N1 in January the week of the release. I'm configured with Rogers APN which isn't to bad but sometimes is pretty slow. I'm in Ottawa and WIND plans to rollout here at the end of this month, although I'm cautious to jump on board right away. Let me know how you make out

Quote Originally Posted by terryd66 View Post
    I'm interested in the responses you get. I received my N1 in January the week of the release. I'm configured with Rogers APN which isn't to bad but sometimes is pretty slow. I'm in Ottawa and WIND plans to rollout here at the end of this month, although I'm cautious to jump on board right away. Let me know how you make out
    Wind basically bends you over if you happen to roam on another other network, which is basically bound to happen unless you live in the core of their coverage area.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post

Apparently you can get full capability using Wind Mobile, which is a bit of a joke at this point, as they have zero coverage.

Here's my question though, has anyone been successful at using 3G on this phone on Bell or Fido? The reason I ask, is that Bell and Fido both use the 2100MHz band for 3G, which T-Mobile in the US uses too.

Short answer No.

Long answer:

Few things... to not get so confusing probably wanna follow this..
    Spectrums:

Band I/1 = IMT, 2100 (sometimes referred to as 1900/2100)
    Band II/2 = PCS, 1900
    Band III/3 = DCS, 1800
    Band IV/4 = AWS, 1700 (sometimes referred to as 1700/2100)
    Band V/5 = CLR, 850
    Band VIII/8 = GSM, 900

Just refer to the T-mobile/Wind spectrum as Band 4 or AWS which is what the phone does 3G on.... (europe will be band 1 i think?) the 1700/2100 is downlink/uplink (or maybe other way around)

Nexus 1:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 1700 / 2100 / 900

so to translate that swap out the #'s with the letters it makes more sense

2G network CLR GSM DCS PCS
    3G network AWS IMT GSM

Someone correct me if im wrong on that im no expert at this but im going to assume that the 900 on the nexus is actually a UMTS europe frequency and not a GSM one.

So Bell/etc's 1900 is actually a PCS network on 2G which knowing it was Bell makes it the PCS CDMA 2G network.

Figuring out these frequencies and overlaps between north America and Europe and the rest of the world really gets confusing when they only show numbers instead of actual band # or letter'd names.

could probably get a straighter answer than this from the bell area on howardforums.com they can probably explain it clearer (and probably already have if one were to search that site)

<random rant off topic but sorta on topic..>

good news...

We had this auction last year Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - Auction of Spectrum Licences for Advanced Wireless Services and Other Spectrum in the 2*GHz Range: Summary by Licence Winner Bell, Telus, Rogers, Shaw, Novus (that fibre isp in vancouver), and Globalive/Wind all bought AWS / band 4 spectrum to cover all of bc and alberta while DAVE (whos brand name was just released as Mobilicity or something) bought spectrum in major citys in bc and alberta (and the rest of canada)

Bad news:
    The spectrum licenses last 10 years, and they have 5 years from the auction date to put up towers to cover 50% of the potential customer population in each license they bought. so some areas might not get any work done until the 5 years are almost done.

So wind is going to have 50% of the population in BC covered when Vancouver opens up later this year but DAVE bought Vancouver and Victoria as separate licenses so they have to cover each license at 50% potential population within 5 years, which is also how bell telus, shaw, bell etc bought their licenses.

I thought this was changed but a few people ended up correcting me that it was not changed and there was no leeway/extension of the 5 year/50% the population thing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ruden View Post

Short answer No.

Long answer:

Few things... to not get so confusing probably wanna follow this..
    Spectrums:

Band I/1 = IMT, 2100 (sometimes referred to as 1900/2100)
    Band II/2 = PCS, 1900
    Band III/3 = DCS, 1800
    Band IV/4 = AWS, 1700 (sometimes referred to as 1700/2100)
    Band V/5 = CLR, 850
    Band VIII/8 = GSM, 900

Just refer to the T-mobile/Wind spectrum as Band 4 or AWS which is what the phone does 3G on.... (europe will be band 1 i think?) the 1700/2100 is downlink/uplink (or maybe other way around)

Nexus 1:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 1700 / 2100 / 900

so to translate that swap out the #'s with the letters it makes more sense

2G network CLR GSM DCS PCS
    3G network AWS IMT GSM

Someone correct me if im wrong on that im no expert at this but im going to assume that the 900 on the nexus is actually a UMTS europe frequency and not a GSM one.

So Bell/etc's 1900 is actually a PCS network on 2G which knowing it was Bell makes it the PCS CDMA 2G network.

Figuring out these frequencies and overlaps between north America and Europe and the rest of the world really gets confusing when they only show numbers instead of actual band # or letter'd names.

could probably get a straighter answer than this from the bell area on howardforums.com they can probably explain it clearer (and probably already have if one were to search that site)
    You are correct, Bell and Telus uses the underlay of the CDMA network. The only way to get 3g in Canada would be on the 'Wind' network....
    or if there is a specific Canadian Nexus.

Fido and Bell use 850/1900 for 3G. Fido is owned by Rogers so Fido uses the same network as Rogers.

I guess we should just hope the rumours about the AT&T Nexus One are true.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links