Why I switched from a 3gs to the Nexus One

This is a discussion on Why I switched from a 3gs to the Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Just wanted to let current iPhone owners looking at these threads and thinking about switching all the reasons I decided to turn from the dark ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I switched from a 3gs to the Nexus One

Cool Why I switched from a 3gs to the Nexus One

Just wanted to let current iPhone owners looking at these threads and thinking about switching all the reasons I decided to turn from the dark side (Apple) to the light (Google)...

1. REMOVABLE BATTERY - while this might not be a big deal to some people, I am an extreme power user and need this option. I HATE having to carry around a stupid chord looking for a computer instead of a tiny spare battery in my pocket. Apple really pissed me off by taking this option away from us and making the decision for us in order to force us to pay them $80 when the battery starts to go bad.

2. Nexus One doesn't scratch as easily - another reason apple pissed me off is that they didn't listen to their customers who requested a non scratching matte finish on the back of the iPhone so it doesn't get scratched or fingerprint as easily. Just another example of Apple deciding what is best for the customer instead of giving them what they want (a recurring theme).

3. Google voice - another example of Apple denying what their customers want in order to make the decisions for them. Yes you can now have this on your home screen as a web app, due to Google's herculean efforts to overcome Apple's approval process, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple is evil!

4. T-Mobile data only plan for $40/mo - Save $30 a month from Apples minimum $70/mo plan and make calls through VOIP... nuff said

5. Android market - Everything I had to jailbreak my iPhone for (and void my warranty, unless I restore) I have freely and openly on the android market. Tethering, emulators, bluetooth keyboard, Google voice etc.

6. Google maps navigation - Free? FREE?! Google is an amazing company that keeps coming out with free invaluable services for their customers. Gmail, youtube, google maps, google earth, google 411, and now google maps navigation. Something this good on the iPhone would run me $100 easily (Navigon + in app purchase traffic). You can bet Apple wont ever approve this free Google service in the appstore when they have $100 gps applications selling like hotcakes for them.

I will always support a company like Google who is doing things that its customers are asking for instead of a company like Apple who looks out for their own profits first and their customers second.

Even with the termination fee and buying the Nexus One unlocked I still came out on top money wise

Iphone:
    $ 200 - Cost of initial iPhone purchase
    $1680 - Cost of $70/mo plan for 24 mo
    ______
    $1880 Total

Nexus One:
    $ 530 - Cost of initial Nexus One
    $ 960 - Cost of $40/mo data only plan for 24 mo
    $ 175 - Cost of ATT termination fee
    _______
    $1665 Total

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Glad your happy. welcome to the "Smart Side"
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Excellent post along with the mathematical breakdown.

I was very close to getting an notPhone after holding off with Blackberry for so long, I just wanted a good phone with a full screen to make web browsing easier. Thankfully the N1 came along and made it a no brainer. I was ready to buy it before I even finished reading the first article on it after seeing the cpu/ram specs. Everything else is like icing on the cake.

Awesome post! Not sure whats holding me back but I'm lurking!

what emulators does it have? GBA? GBC? NES?

Well the iphone is a great phone. Its just ATT that is horrible. I mean, you pay 70 a month and you cant even send a single text and youre limited to 450 minutes. its a massive ripoff..

at tmobile 79.99 gets you unlimited EVERYTHING... and you dont have to be stuck in a contract..

How exactly are you able to use Google Voice with a data only plan?

welcome to Nexus One!

really?
    No voice plan needed on N1?

I know GV requires a voice plan in order to work. I've been using mine for a few months. On Google's site they specify that clearly, but N1 does not require it?

iPhone doesn't scratch either and doesn't get fingerprints at all unlike the Nexus One. Also you pay for a GPS navigation for the iPhone but it doesn't require any data plan. It works like a standard GPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links