How can Google Voice reduce minute usage?

This is a discussion on How can Google Voice reduce minute usage? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Please keep this topic to US Domestic calls and T-Mobile. I remember reading a post a while ago about how someone was able to reduce ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can Google Voice reduce minute usage?

How can Google Voice reduce minute usage?

Please keep this topic to US Domestic calls and T-Mobile.

I remember reading a post a while ago about how someone was able to reduce their phone bill by making and taking phone calls through their google voice number rather than their carrier's number, through WIFI, and switching to a lower minute plan accordingly since these types of phone calls do not eat up your minutes.

Can anyone who really understands this clarify? Would like for the speculation to end with the OP please.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It's because the call is made via data not the carriers voice network... it's another VoIP solution.

OK, so let's break this down...

T-Mo #: WIFI calling is free*
    GV #: WIFI and data network calling is free*

Is that correct? How do we know that when I am on the road my GV calls are going through my data plan and not my minute plan? Is there a setting to confirm this that I haven't seen? Or is this just a confirmed fact that when I hit send and select Google Voice to make the call it will go through data.

*meaning it does not take from your monthly minute usage

At this moment, Google Voice does not include any explicit provision for VOIP other than accommodating former users of Gizmo5. If you have another VOIP provider, and have a legitimate VOIP phone number, Google voice treats you like any other land-line or cellphone user.

Many of us are waiting for Google, which bought Gizmo5, to reactivate it. This might make our imaginary money-saving schemes actually work!

Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer View Post
    taking phone calls through their google voice number rather than their carrier's number, through WIFI,
    To use your cell data plan or wireless for incoming, several VOIP providers will give you free incoming minutes, for example, Gizmo5 or SipGate. Other VOIP providers are much cheaper than cell minutes, for example, Skype. On your phone you can use something like Fring.

So what you can do is this:
    - Free SipGate number
    - Free Google Voice number
    - Free Fring

- Give everyone your GV number to call and text.
    - Tell GV to email your texts
    - Tell Fring about SipGate number
    - Tell GV to forward voice to SipGate number

When someone texts, you get emails with the text.

When someone calls, Fring will ring.

I can't solve the problem of calling out unless you are willing to pay for a SipGate, Gizmo5, or Skype outgoing call.

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Many of these components, while fun to test, may not be ready for prime time. For example, my Google Voice number is occasionally inaccessible. I have tried Truphone and Fring, and can only say that ymmv.

If you have myfaves, add routing in/out number to myfaves. You are all set, no mins ised to receive calls nor make calls

If you want to be strictly on TMO, hopefully you still have an old account which includes My Faves. That's the only way to save minutes on a voice plan, other than VoIP.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    If you want to be strictly on TMO, hopefully you still have an old account which includes My Faves. That's the only way to save minutes on a voice plan, other than VoIP.
    Nope, no My Faves. Salesguy said you can't get one of those accounts any more. It's funny since AT&T just added their A List which gives each account 10 favorite phone numbers.:nexusx:

Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    Many of these components, while fun to test, may not be ready for prime time. For example, my Google Voice number is occasionally inaccessible. I have tried Truphone and Fring, and can only say that ymmv.
    I noticed that Gizmo5 on my computer wasn't ringing today. I screwed around for a while with no success. My SipGate number is working fine as is GizmoCall. Uninstalled Gizmo5, reinstalled and bam it is working.

Also noticed that Gizmo is sending everything to Gizmo VM after 10 seconds of ringing, so if someone calls my GV and it's routed to my cell and Gizmo, bam, caller gets Gizmo VM after ~2 rings. Haven't tested if this is still happening after the re-install.

So, you are right about ymmv. Or maybe ymprobablywillsuck.
    :nexusx:

Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links