Should I Keep My Nexus One or My 3Gs?

This is a discussion on Should I Keep My Nexus One or My 3Gs? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; after getting two phones I returned the nexus one to HTC and kept my iPhone 3GS. I can tell you what iPhone does better - ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Keep My Nexus One or My 3Gs?

after getting two phones I returned the nexus one to HTC and kept my iPhone 3GS. I can tell you what iPhone does better - makes way better video, takes better pictures when darker, has way better voice commands, has much better sound (some one mentioned Nokia N95 8GB and it has better sound than both phones). 3GS has more responsive touchscreen (Nexus One has better display colors though). 3GS has better battery life (saves its battery better when you don't use the phone. I don't know if some one has noticed, but when the iPhone is in standby mode it turns off the wifi, and when you unlock the phone it turns it on), the iPhone OS has much better apps - just compare facebook and skype for iPhone and Android. I didn't go to school twice because the Nexus One's battery died after 7 hours at night (it was almost full before going to bed). This can't happen when you use the iPhone. iPhone 3GS is more reliable and more stable at this moment.

The earphones volume is pretty loud for me. I only need to use 40% even when I'm riding the train or the bus.

Regarding the loudspeaking volume, according to what nycbubba2 said in this thread - Earpiece and Loudspeaker volume issues.. - Android Help (five posts from the bottom), the loudspeaker is programmed to output 75% of its max volume. Not sure how reliable it is or why Google did that.

I've only had mine for about two days, but here's my thinking coming from an iphone 3g which I only had for about a month.

The Iphone is a glorified ipod. Ipod's are meant for music, so it stands to reason that it should have better earphone quality and play video and music to a higher degree.

Nexus one is designed to be a computer with a phone app. Not a music player. Sure you can listen to music, watch video's, etc, but is that really what Google wanted it to be?

Let's not fool ourselves. There really is no comparison between Android and the Iphone OS, so stop trying to reason with why one is better than the other. It all depends on how you really plan on using the software.

That being said, I'm happier with the Nexus One. It's definitely different, but it suits my needs better than an Iphone did.

Interesting for the headphones . So if I go and get a proper intra earphone like shure or senheiser cx500 l should get a sound quality from the nexus one as good as the 3gs ?
    It's really a pity I can't get a nexus one in hands to try it out in france that's why I'm having so much unknowns about its sound qualities (the most important feature I'm looking for and I don't like apple ), I can only make my mind through usa forums and it is not always clear to me .

thanks you

Quote Originally Posted by freedom42 View Post
    A few thoughts...

I use Shure 530's in high noise environments and the N1's audio output is more than sufficient and sounds as good as my older iPhone 2G. But realize the in ear 530's block a great deal of the ambient noise and that is exactly why I use this style ear buds. Basically I would not want to gain up the phone to overcome background noise (e.g. with the N1's stock buds) as that in my opinion would damage my hearing.

The external speaker is at best for telephone quality audio and is suitable for only a speaker phone. But the real problem is that if you turn up the volume too much the speaker clips. It is better than nothing, but unsuitable for use except in quiet environments.

Camera... It's a cell phone. With that in mind the white balance thing should be fixable with a software update, but I have the sense that Google/HTC have bigger issues right now (e.g. 3G issues on T-Mobile). Low light performance. Overall with a small lens (aperture) I'm surprised how well the Apple product does. The N1's single led simply can't make up the difference.

I walked away from the iPhone for the N1 given that the iPhone platform is simply too limiting for me. For others I suspect it is exactly what they want. In other words Apple created a user experience for the general non-technical public. I don't fall into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by just999in View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindol View Post
    N1 with earphones is loud. Lets not lie to ourselves. Only the speaker is pathetic. Especially how its at the back of the phone, which makes the sound output even worse.
    No, I'm not lying to anybody. I tried the N1 and iPhone 3gs side by side, using the same headphones, and the iPhone was much louder at maximum level.

In normal situations, this doesn't matter, but when I'm on the train, or at the noisy gym I can't hear a podcast on my N1 whereas it was never a problem with my 3gs.

I still like Android and most other features of the N1 better than the iphone. However, Crappy Sound quality, mediocre photo quality and less responsive keyboard or significant drawbacks to the N1.

The question is, are these drawbacks enough for me to keep my iPhone?

I'm still in the middle.
    Yes, good-quality in-ear headphone will probably solve the low-volume problem for me. But, I can't find any earphones for the N1 that have a volume control and mic built-in. This is important because it is pain in the arse to pull the phone out of the pocket to adjust the volume, which I have to do repeatedly. Also, the ability to answer a call while listening to music is crucial.

I don't expect much from a phone camera either, but the iPhone definitely takes cleaner photos with truer colours.

I don't want to go back to the iPhone either, as the platform is a bore and it's frustrating that the user has little control over settings, customisation, etc. But the iphone does sound better, both the speaker and the line-out. I hope the latter can be resolved with better headphones.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by just999in View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindol View Post
    N1 with earphones is loud. Lets not lie to ourselves. Only the speaker is pathetic. Especially how its at the back of the phone, which makes the sound output even worse.
    No, I'm not lying to anybody. I tried the N1 and iPhone 3gs side by side, using the same headphones, and the iPhone was much louder at maximum level.

In normal situations, this doesn't matter, but when I'm on the train, or at the noisy gym I can't hear a podcast on my N1 whereas it was never a problem with my 3gs.

I still like Android and most other features of the N1 better than the iphone. However, Crappy Sound quality, mediocre photo quality and less responsive keyboard or significant drawbacks to the N1.

The question is, are these drawbacks enough for me to keep my iPhone?

I'm still in the middle.
    I don't believe you are 'in the middle'. Based on your headphones, you've already determined 'Crappy' sound quality, mediocre photo, unresponsive keyboard...I don't see how you can possibly reconcile those in comparison to your iPhone.
    Actually, I still am in the middle, because with the exception of those issues (crappy headphones and sound quality, mediocre photos, and less responsive typing) I like everything else about the N1 better. I love the notification bar, widgets and other customisations which aren't available on the stale iphone OS.

Quote Originally Posted by dveldt View Post
    I've only had mine for about two days, but here's my thinking coming from an iphone 3g which I only had for about a month.

The Iphone is a glorified ipod. Ipod's are meant for music, so it stands to reason that it should have better earphone quality and play video and music to a higher degree.

Nexus one is designed to be a computer with a phone app. Not a music player. Sure you can listen to music, watch video's, etc, but is that really what Google wanted it to be?

Let's not fool ourselves. There really is no comparison between Android and the Iphone OS, so stop trying to reason with why one is better than the other. It all depends on how you really plan on using the software.

That being said, I'm happier with the Nexus One. It's definitely different, but it suits my needs better than an Iphone did.
    I agree that comparing Android and iphone OS is useless. If you prefer user control and customisation options, Android is the better choice.

I disagree with what you say about the media player. After spending $530 for a phone ($750 for me), the music and video quality should be at least as good, if not better than that of a phone that came out 8 months ago (iphone 3gs). I don't mind that the UI of the media player isn't as good as on the iPhone, but the poorer sound quality is inexcusable for a top of the line new phone.

Again, sound quality is the ONLY issue that is causing me to consider keeping my iPhone. The poorer photo quality is just a minor issue for me. I like everything about Android OS and the N1 screen is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by shannow View Post
    Interesting for the headphones . So if I go and get a proper intra earphone like shure or senheiser cx500 l should get a sound quality from the nexus one as good as the 3gs ?
    It's really a pity I can't get a nexus one in hands to try it out in france that's why I'm having so much unknowns about its sound qualities (the most important feature I'm looking for and I don't like apple ), I can only make my mind through usa forums and it is not always clear to me .

thanks you

From what I've read in this thread, it sounds like if you invest in a decent pair of headphones, the sound will be good. The headphones that come with the N1 are crappy, so you can't judge the sound quality based on those alone.

Well honestly i'm not bothered at the price as long as I'm happy with them . I'm even considering the shure's 530 at 300$ they have a good rating on headphonereview.com . I listen to music an awful lot , usually I kill the mp3 devise by wearing it .
    That's a another problem is the capacity ... I have like 60-80gb of music and I'm having problem as it is to select only about 30gb of it and the 32gb micro sd card is a pretty rare bird in france .
    for a 32gb capacity the 3gs would come cheaper to me by 150$ compared with a N1 imported (the N1 won't be out until 2-3months here) that's a another burden :/ (and so the supports etc that I'll have if something goes wrong).

By the way for the op I did read somewhere that the ipod eardbuds with the controls does work on the nexus . Not sure about it but I did read it on some android forums .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links