Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem?

This is a discussion on Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem? -- Engadget From Endaget: Looks like someone at Google should fast forward ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem?

Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem?

Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem? -- Engadget

From Endaget:
    Looks like someone at Google should fast forward those Nexus One design videos to the radio integration portion and figure out what went wrong, because it seems like the 3G coverage problem still hasn't been fixed, even after that last big OTA update. What's more, many in Google's support forums are noting that the phone will drop a weaker 3G signal merely when held by the bottom, as the video below clearly shows. Oops. We're not at all sure what's going on here, but we're hoping this issue can yet be solved with a software patch -- things are going to get messy if this is purely a hardware issue.
    I'm having this issue. Still spotty 3G in a 3G rich area. In fact, the only way I can get 3G consistently is to force it in the phone testing screen.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2g5J4qPp54&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Also, I've noticed when I use the N1 Google BT dock I get lower and usually no data in some places like my desk at work, where I am 90% of my week. So when I read this it kind of made sense.
    Rooted Nexus One

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    the video also seems to make a compelling case - holding at the bottom seems to kill the 3G connection. I only use wifi for data at the moment so I am not too worried - I would be gutted if I thought I had to give up my nexus - but if it is a hardware fault, it could be costly for htc to put right...

EDIT: Video added...

I'm wondering if other people find something similar with the BT Google Dock like I'm having.
    Rooted Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    EDIT: Video added...

I'm wondering if other people find something similar with the BT Google Dock like I'm having.
    Dock issues?
    Also, I've noticed when I use the N1 Google BT dock I get lower and usually no data in some places like my desk at work, where I am 90% of my week. So when I read this it kind of made sense.
    This... =)
    Rooted Nexus One

Nexus One 3G problems persist after update -- is it a design problem? -- Engadget

From Endaget:
    Looks like someone at Google should fast forward those Nexus One design videos to the radio integration portion and figure out what went wrong, because it seems like the 3G coverage problem still hasn't been fixed, even after that last big OTA update. What's more, many in Google's support forums are noting that the phone will drop a weaker 3G signal merely when held by the bottom, as the video below clearly shows. Oops. We're not at all sure what's going on here, but we're hoping this issue can yet be solved with a software patch -- things are going to get messy if this is purely a hardware issue.
    I'm having this issue. Still spotty 3G in a 3G rich area. In fact, the only way I can get 3G consistently is to force it in the phone testing screen.
    I'm on T-mobile only and the phone says UMTS, while your video shows HSDPA. The benchmark rates are about the same between what I have observed and your video. Note that my phone never reverts back to Edge.

Mine switches from umts and usdpa. when on 3g...and I keep it forced to 3g so when I hold it on the bottom my signal just drops to 0. :/
    Rooted Nexus One

Realize that the N1's antenna is underneath the back cover just above the USB connector. That area of the phone is in contact with the dock.

This reminds me of when I have to tell my software engineers not to strap an antenna to plastic support structure. It de-tunes the antenna, thus limiting an antenna's performance.

So no surprise that the dock affects the N1's RF performance.

On another note it appears if I was looking at the same update unzipping the file yields files dated in 11/09. In other words the last update was in the works months ago. I never believed that a radio update would get certified in the matter of weeks.

Dock issues?
    This... =)
    HAHAHA! I scrolled too fast! :P

bmo
    I just performed a similar test (using Settings->About phone-Status) and found holding my phone in the exact same manner as presented in this video INCREASES my 3G signal strength!

wolverine... is that you?

Freakin ridiculous. Most people hold the phone from the bottom when talking on the phone. How can they be so stupid in designing a phone to where when someone holds it from the bottom to where it gets weaker reception??

For the tmobile users who experience problematic 3G, how long have you had your SIM cards for? Do you think a new SIM card will fix the problem somewhat? It's just a hypothesis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links