Security Thread

This is a discussion on Security Thread within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I thought we should have a thread about security. I'm concerned about how easily someone might access my sensitive information, mainly Gmail and Calendar, if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Thread

Security Thread

I thought we should have a thread about security. I'm concerned about how easily someone might access my sensitive information, mainly Gmail and Calendar, if my phone is lost or stolen. How do I protect against this.

Also, what is a good way to find your phone with GPS if it is lost or stolen. I signed up for FindR but it doesn't seem to be a good option. Can't get it to work, and doesn't seem like they got their things straightened out.

What about anti-virus software? Is that necessary, and if so what is a good one?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I use Lookout from the market as an anti-virus. Dont know if it is really necessary but its free so why not.

Gesture swipe on unlock will prevent access to the phone.

I *think* thats about as much as you need to do protect it. If they cant unlock it, they cant get at your data. If they wipe it it regain control, phone memory data will be gone. You'll change your gmail passwords if it gets stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by tribz View Post
    Gesture swipe on unlock will prevent access to the phone.

I *think* thats about as much as you need to do protect it. If they cant unlock it, they cant get at your data. If they wipe it it regain control, phone memory data will be gone. You'll change your gmail passwords if it gets stolen.
    Ok. Sounds good. Do you know a different way to unlock the phone without the gesture swipe? A number pad would be ideal?

Quote Originally Posted by disbj4ke View Post
    I use Lookout from the market as an anti-virus. Dont know if it is really necessary but its free so why not.
    I downloaded it at first, uninstalled it later. Not sure why. Might download it again. Have you tried the location finder?

I use Mobile Defense in order to recover my phone should it ever get lost. It can track the phone, remotely lock it, send a loud alarm, etc. Their Website is https://www.mobiledefense.com which explains it better than I can, and the download from the market is free.

Quote Originally Posted by abe12345 View Post
    I downloaded it at first, uninstalled it later. Not sure why. Might download it again. Have you tried the location finder?

the only part of this app that i have used as of yet is the virus scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by abe12345 View Post

the only part of this app that i have used as of yet is the virus scanner.
    I reinstalled it. Looks like a nice clean program. Check out their website if you haven't already. It is a nice. It backed up my contacts, pics. I tried the phone locater as well and it found my phone on the map within 10 meters. It also has a siren option, which I can't test out right now because I'm at the library. But looks good. Only wish it would remotely lock and wipe my phone like Mobile Defense, but overall it is nice to have antivirus and these other features all in one, and free.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I use Mobile Defense in order to recover my phone should it ever get lost. It can track the phone, remotely lock it, send a loud alarm, etc. Their Website is https://www.mobiledefense.com which explains it better than I can, and the download from the market is free.
    Might check it out. Is the service free as well?

AV is not needed on Android. There has not been any viruses for the platform.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links