Got the Nexus One a few days ago.

This is a discussion on Got the Nexus One a few days ago. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by thomaslkuo Originally Posted by alphawave7 Originally Posted by thomaslkuo Return Merchandise authorization refers to if you were not satisfied with the product ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got the Nexus One a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslkuo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Return Merchandise authorization refers to if you were not satisfied with the product and want to cancel within the time frame of 14 days. In his case, he likes the phone and not the service so he cancels before the 120 days, then hewould be subject to a equipment recovery fee. I have already canceled my service and have been assured there will not be early termination fee from tmobile.
    I guess I hadn't realised the impact of the new reduced ERF imposed by Google. This seems to indicate Google sees the phone at a $329 device, rather than a $529 device...(MSRP, what I paid, and originally supported by the $350 ERF). I knew going in it wasn't a 'deal', but I had no choice: I'm an early adopter by nature, have always paid the most, PLUS I've got a very fair MyFavs plan that for all intents is 'free everything' using GV on MyFavs for $65/mo, and I'm unwilling to futz with this grandfathered plan at all.

As a $329 ($179, $150 ERF later) device, I think this phone is an absolute steal....the key here to reduce your costs to the bare minumum, is to cancel the TMO contract the same day you receive/activate the phone. You'll incur the pro-rated monthly rate for a single day (is there activation, too?), incur the ERF once Google determines the TMO contract is not being maintained (likely after the 120 day gestation period, or sooner), and drop whatever SIM you have on hand (ATT/TMO) and add data as needed to existing service. Anyone find any flaws?
    This phone is worth it at $529. So even if there's a flaw and I am wrong about price to pay device-wise, the fact that I got out of the TMO plan which was the Even-More 500 minutes with Unlimited Data and Text putting me at $80 a month, plus I would need to upgrade to Even-More Unlimited which would have put me at $99 a month Unlimited Talk, Data, and Text before taxes.

By paying full retail for it, whatever it turns out to be, and that's still pending whatever Google will charge me (Per the TOS, they have a right to charge my card), I get to keep my Unlimited Loyalty at $49.99 and Unlimited Android Data for $24.99 I'm only paying $75 a month, a savings of $25 (GV allows me to have free text so I declined the Unlimited Text add-on from TMO for $9.99). A $25 a month savings for 24 month contract is a savings of $600 dollars. This is why Google is pushing for not being BOUND to Service Providers with Contracts!

Imagine the savings Judeeg will see for not having to maintain 2 separate lines!!
    Once you cancel your T-Mobile plan you can try to get the Even More Plus plan. I decided to but the phone at full retail and got that plan. There is no contract and you get unlimited voice,text and data for $79.99 a month. That is if you wanted to stay with T- Mobile. They will try to charge you $4.95 extra a month unless you sign up for "Easy Pay" with that option your payment gets deducted from your bank account or credit card 3 days before your monthly bill is due. I like that option so I don't ever have to worry about when my bill is due, although I usually pay it early on line. INMHO Even More Plus Unlimited is GREAT! I am so sick of contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post

I guess I hadn't realised the impact of the new reduced ERF imposed by Google. This seems to indicate Google sees the phone at a $329 device, rather than a $529 device...(MSRP, what I paid, and originally supported by the $350 ERF). I knew going in it wasn't a 'deal', but I had no choice: I'm an early adopter by nature, have always paid the most, PLUS I've got a very fair MyFavs plan that for all intents is 'free everything' using GV on MyFavs for $65/mo, and I'm unwilling to futz with this grandfathered plan at all.

As a $329 ($179, $150 ERF later) device, I think this phone is an absolute steal....the key here to reduce your costs to the bare minumum, is to cancel the TMO contract the same day you receive/activate the phone. You'll incur the pro-rated monthly rate for a single day (is there activation, too?), incur the ERF once Google determines the TMO contract is not being maintained (likely after the 120 day gestation period, or sooner), and drop whatever SIM you have on hand (ATT/TMO) and add data as needed to existing service. Anyone find any flaws?
    This phone is worth it at $529. So even if there's a flaw and I am wrong about price to pay device-wise, the fact that I got out of the TMO plan which was the Even-More 500 minutes with Unlimited Data and Text putting me at $80 a month, plus I would need to upgrade to Even-More Unlimited which would have put me at $99 a month Unlimited Talk, Data, and Text before taxes.

By paying full retail for it, whatever it turns out to be, and that's still pending whatever Google will charge me (Per the TOS, they have a right to charge my card), I get to keep my Unlimited Loyalty at $49.99 and Unlimited Android Data for $24.99 I'm only paying $75 a month, a savings of $25 (GV allows me to have free text so I declined the Unlimited Text add-on from TMO for $9.99). A $25 a month savings for 24 month contract is a savings of $600 dollars. This is why Google is pushing for not being BOUND to Service Providers with Contracts!

Imagine the savings Judeeg will see for not having to maintain 2 separate lines!!
    Once you cancel your T-Mobile plan you can try to get the Even More Plus plan. I decided to but the phone at full retail and got that plan. There is no contract and you get unlimited voice,text and data for $79.99 a month. That is if you wanted to stay with T- Mobile. They will try to charge you $4.95 extra a month unless you sign up for "Easy Pay" with that option your payment gets deducted from your bank account or credit card 3 days before your monthly bill is due. I like that option so I don't ever have to worry about when my bill is due, although I usually pay it early on line. INMHO Even More Plus Unlimited is GREAT! I am so sick of contracts.
    Also Google does not charge you anything additional if you paid full retail for the phone and you cancel. Why would they charge an equipment recovery fee for an unsubsidized phone?

Do you still get charged the $200 from Tmobile if you cancel right away and not return the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by geckojohn View Post
    Do you still get charged the $200 from Tmobile if you cancel right away and not return the phone?
    T-mobile told me as long as it was returned within what they call "Buyer's Remorse Period" there will not be a $200 Early Termination Fee charged.

So the best way to get this phone is to sign up for the t-mobile plan and pay $179 for N1 and cancel the contract within 14 days? This way the phone only cost $329 compared to 529. Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post
    If you bought the phone subsidized through T-mobile, meaning through contract. Then by early terminating your T-mobile contract, then under Google's Terms and Conditions, you will allow them to charge you an Equipment Recovery Fee of $200 dollars. Small price to pay to get out of a contract that you don't want or need.
    If you have only had the phone for 4 days and you got the phone for $179 with a contract you can cancel the contract and only owe for what time you used if anything at all. Google will charge you a recovery fee of $150 which is not bad it used to be $350. So basically you will have a Nexus One for $329. I paid $529 + tax for mine so you got a good deal, lol.
    Ummm..no...early cancellation within the return window (14 days, California 30 days) requires an RMA and RETURN of the device, per Googles TOS:
    Nexus One Phone - Terms of Sale
    Canceling your T-Mobile service : Returns and warranty - Nexus One Help

Judeeg, how did your cancellation call go?
    Ummm, yeah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links