Of screen recording

This is a discussion on Of screen recording within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; U just watched a beautiful presentation of Diggin demo, seemingly recorded of a (android) phone screen. I would love to have the ability to record ...

Thread: Of screen recording

Of screen recording

U just watched a beautiful presentation of Diggin demo, seemingly recorded of a (android) phone screen. I would love to have the ability to record live what is going on on my N1. The screenshots (using the SDK) are not enough.

I tried to do it using a VNC server (the way I do it on my iPhone) but failed miserably.

Does anyone know of a way of doing this

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have not seen a way to do this with any Android phone.

how do you do the screen shots??? my friend did it on her iphone and i was wondering if i could do it on the nexus?

mah
    Screenshots can be done using the "DDMS" developer tool. If you install the Android SDK, this tool is part of it.

When you download the SDK, it doesn't actually put much on your machine; running the "setup" (which is not a Windows installer) allows you to download additional components. You need to do this to download the usb drivers (I'm assuming Windows; Mac/Linux may have different procedures to go through). Once the drivers are properly installed, and if you've got your phone enabled for debug (Settings, Applications, Development), you can use DDMS to capture screenshots.

There's also a 3rd party tool available to use the same channel as DDMS to simulate capturing live ala VNC Server/Client. This tool (sorry, I can't recall the name but if there's interest I can find it) is ok for low speed captures, but would fail miserably if you're trying to capture a you-tube video, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    ...snip ...

There's also a 3rd party tool available to use the same channel as DDMS to simulate capturing live ala VNC Server/Client. This tool (sorry, I can't recall the name but if there's interest I can find it) is ok for low speed captures, but would fail miserably if you're trying to capture a you-tube video, for example.
    I tried to find one but I failed. It would work well, if I could get the VNC server working. I get it connected but the screen is a total garbage.

mah
    What VNC server are you even able to connect to on an Android device? I found android-vnc on code.google.com but this seems to only run within a hacked emulator image. I'm sure the same code could be made to run in a custom phone firmware, but I don't think it will run on a standard phone. (Looking at the file system on my N1, I don't even see something that is obviously a framebuffer device for software to access; if that device exists, it likely will not be readable to non-root applications, meaning you would at least need to root your device to provide a VNC server).

There is a defunct project using the DDMS method I described above, called DroidEx, and can be found at ANN: DroidEx Android device projector, version 0.0.0.0.0.1 - Android Discuss | Google Groups. The author of this tool is no longer maintaining it though, and in fact is recommending something else called Droid@Screen... but I can't locate Droid@Screen using a Google search.

I was in an Android development seminar recently (taught by the DroidEx author) and he was using Droid@Screen. It appeared to work very well when video wasn't part of the display. It wasn't able to auto-detect screen orientation but did have a menu option to swap it.

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    What VNC server are you even able to connect to on an Android device? I found android-vnc on code.google.com but this seems to only run within a hacked emulator image. ...
    I was able to connect to this one
    android-vnc - Project Hosting on Google Code

without a proxy or port redirection.

mah
    You wouldn't need the port redirection if you're not trying this on the emulator, but trying it on a real phone is possibly the reason you're not getting good data -- the android-vnc project includes a modified kernel image that you start the emulator with, and to make this work on a real phone, your phone's kernel will have to include whatever this custom kernel includes.

How did you know what IP address to connect to -- were you using a VNC client on your phone also (and so connecting to localhost)? If so, I wouldn't expect good results with that. Were you connecting over wifi on your local net? That's the best chance for success (but, again, without whatever the custom kernel provides, all bets are off). If you figured out your IP through a GSM data connection, chance of success here is potentially hindered further due to how your carrier manages data for you.

1. I am using the LAN, thus figuring the IP is really easy
    2. I am not into rooting yet, I have only one N1 and want to keep it "save"
    3. My disappointment comes from a fact that it was a piece of cake on my iPhone, not to mention all my other OSes.
    4. I am not in a dire need of this. I just find that shooting a little video of what I am doing very often helps with support.
    5. I will wait for Nexus One (or Android) to mature, as it is I find it a it disappointing that I can't do the basic stuff OOB / like synching my music and pictures, running Skype, running SIP ...

but must admit that overall I like N1. One of the problem with any switcher is the muscle memory - the hand just has to be retrained for a different paradigm.

Thank you very much for you patience and help.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links